ترک کردن – رها کردن
ababdon / ǝ’bædǝn/
v. give up completely
syn: release; surrender
* When an elderly lady entered the crowded bus, one of the students abandoned his seat to her.
فروکش کردن- کاهش یافتن
abate / ǝ’beɪt/
v. become less, make less
syn: to lessen; to subside
* The water shortage is abating, but it is still a matter of some concern.
کناره گیری کردن- ترک کردن
abdicate / ‘æbdɪ’keɪt/
v. give up
syn: abandon’ cede
* The aging king abdicated his throne and went into retirement.
دزدیدن [آدم]- ربودن
abdicate / æb’dʌkt/
v. carry off by force
syn: kindnap; abduce
* The Greeks attacked Troy to recover Helen, who had been abducted by the Trojan prince Paris.
شریک جرم (کسی) شدن- هم دستی کردن
abet / ǝ’bεt/
v. give help to a crime
syn: to help; to aid
* It is unlawful to aid and abet a criminal.
متنفر بودن از، نفرت داشتن از
abhor / ǝb’hɔr/
v. dislike deeply
syn: to hate; to detest
* Janet is doing her best to pass English because she abhors the thought of having to repeat it in summer school.
نکبت بار، رقت انگیز
abject / ‘æbdʒεkt/
aj. Deserving great pity
syn: miserable; wretched
* They were living in such abject poverty that they could not even afford the bare necessities.
غیر عادی- غیر طبیعی
avnormal / æb’nɔrmǝl/
adj. not ordinary
syn: unusual; aberrant
* we had three absences today, which is abnormal. usually, everyone is present.
منزل- اقامتگاه- سکونت
abode / ǝ’bod/
syn: dwelling; domicile
* The announcement read: “The Coopers have moved & invite you to visit them at their new abode, 22 Apple street.”
فراوان بودن- فراوان داشتن
abound / ǝ’baund/
v. be well supplied
syn: increase; swarm
* Before Christmas, the stores have abounded supplies of toys.
خارج- خارج از کشور
abroad / ǝ’brɔd/
adv. in another country
syn: overseas; out of the country
* After living abroad for a time, Robert Browning became homesick for his native land.
یک دفعه- به طور ناگهانی
abruptly / ǝ’brʌptli/
syn: suddenly; bluntly
* Todau’s art lesson finished abruptly when the gongs sounded for a fire drill.
abscond / æb’skand/
v. go away suddenly
syn: steal off; bolt
* A wide search is under way for the manager who absconded with $ 10.000 of his employer’s funds.
جذاب- جذب کننده
absorbing / ǝb’sɔrbɪŋ/
adj. extrenely interesting
syn: engrossed; amused
* That was an absorbing book. It held my interest from beginning to end.
امتناع کردن- خودداری کردن
abstain / ǝb’steɪn/
v. withhold oneself from doing something
syn: avoid; cease
* My dentist said I would have fewer cavities if I abstained from eating candy.
خویشن داری- امساک- پرهیز
abstinence / ‘æbstǝnǝns/
n. stopping yourselg from having of doing sth that you enjoy
syn: avoifance’ self- denial
* The doctor advised total abstinence from alcohol.
دیوانه- احمق- احمقانه
absurd / ǝb’sǝrd/
adj. that should be laughed at
syn: ridiculous; crazy
* Don’t be absurd! U can’t possibly do all this work in one day.
سوء استفاده کردن از- بدرفتاری کردن با
v. to say rude things to sb.
syn: deceive; injure
* Social workers discovered that the girl had been secually abused by her father.
رضایت دادن- تسلیم شدن- به مقامی دست یافتن
accede / æk’sid/
v. agree to a request, suggestion, etc.
syn: agree; accord
* When I asked my English teacher if I might change my topic, he readily acceded to my request.
راه- ورود- دسترسی- دستیابی
access / ‘æksεs/
n. a way of entering or reaching
syn: path; passage
* Access to the garden is through the kitchen.
در دسترس- قابل دسترسی
accessible / ǝk’sεsǝbǝl/
adj. easy to approach
syn: achievable; available
* Navy blue shoes and gloves are accessible in every store.
[ به صورت جمع] ضمائم- لوازم فرعی
accessory / ǝk’sεsǝri/
n. something added
syn: accompaniment; accomplice
* Navy blue shoes and gloves would be perfect accessories for this white suit.
تحسین کردن- کف زدن- ابراز احساسات کردن
acclaim / ǝ’kleɪm/
v. to praise sb/sth greatly
syn: applaud; clap
* The novel has been acclaimed as a modern classic.
جا دادن- وفق دادن
accommodate / ǝ’kamǝ’deɪt/
v. provide with a place to live in
syn: board; put up
* The new tourist hotel will have accommodations for more than one thousand people.
شریک جرم- همدست
accomplice / ‘ǝkamplɪs/
n. person who helps someone to do wrong.
syn: abettor; partner
* The police are still looking for the thief’s accomplice.
جلوی کسی را گرفتن- سر راه کسی سبز شدن
accost / ǝ’kɔst/
v. go up and speak
syn: approach; onfront
* The stranger accosted her as she was unlocking her door.
accompaniment / ǝ’kʌmpǝnimǝnt/
n. something that neturally or pleasantly goes with sth else
syn: support; sccessory
* He only drinks wine as an accompaniment to a meal.
جمع شدن- انباشته شدن- تعلق گرفتن
accrue / ǝ’kru/
v. came as an increase or advantage
syn: accumulate; collect
* A crowd accrued to see what was going on.
جمع کردن- انباشتن
accumulate / ǝ’kumyǝ’leɪt/
v. save and conceal
syn: amass; hoard
* Silas Marner had a reputation as amiser who accumulated every penny he could get his hands on.
درست- صحیح – بدون اشتباه
adj. exactly correct
syn: correct; authentic
* Her report is accurate and well written.
توجیه کردن- توضیح دادن
account / ǝ’kaunt/
v. give a reason for sth
syn: explain; elucidate
* How can we account for these changes?
کسب کردن- تحصیل کردن- بدست آوردن
acquire / ǝ’kwaɪǝr/
v. to get or obtain sth
syn: achieve; obtain
* She acquired an American accent while living in New York.
تیز- قوی- عمیق- بحرانی
acute / ǝ’kyut/
adj. showing that you are able to understand things easily
syn: intense; vital
* The report contains some acute observations on the situation.
تلخ- تند- زننده
acrid / ‘ækrrd/
adj. taste or smell bitter
syn: sharp; bitter
* This cigarette has an acrid taste; I guess I have been smoking.
ضرب المثل- مثل
adage / ‘ædɪdʒ/
n. old wise phrase
* ʻA stitch in time saves nineʼ, is an adage.
سازگار کردن- وفق دادن
adapt / ǝ’dæpt/
v. make suitable for new condition
syn: adjust; suit
* People who work at night have to adapt themselves to sleeping in the daytime.
addicted / ǝ’dɪktɪd/
adj. Dependent on something, esp. a drug
* You will not become addicted to smoking if you refuse cigarettes when they are offered.
adept / ǝ’dεpt/
adj. highly skilled
syn: expert; shilled
* When I fell behind in French, the teacher asked one of the more adept students to help me.
چسبیدن- پایبند بودن
adhere / ǝd’hɪr/
v. Stick firmly
syn: hold fast; Cling
* Apply the sticker according to the directions, or it will not adhere.
هوادار- طرفدار- مرید
adherent /ǝd’hɪrεnt /
n. loyal supporter of something
syn: follower; faithful supporter
* You can count on Martha’s support in your campaign for reclection . She is one of your most loyal adherents.
نزدیک – همسایه
adjacent /ǝ’dʒeɪsǝnt /
adj. very close
syn: neighboring; bordering
* The island of cuba is adjacent to Florida.
نزدیک هم بودن- همسایه هم بودن
adjoin /ǝ’dʒɔɪn /
v. be next to
syn: abut; attach
* Mexico adjoins the United States.
تعطیل کردن- به وقت دیگر موکول کردن
adjourn /ǝ’dʒǝrn /
v. stop a meeting
syn: suspend; defer
* The judge adjourned the count to the following Monday.
تنظیم- میزان- تعدیل
adjustment /ǝ’dʒʌstmǝnt /
n. change slightly so as to make right
syn: adaptation; remodeling
* There’s something wrong with the brakes on the car, they need a main adjustment.
اداره کردن- اجرا کردن
administer /ǝd’mɪnǝstǝr /
v. to control or manage sth
syn: conduct; direct
* The system is very complicated and difficult to administer.
adolescent /’ædl’εs∂nt /
n,adj. a young person who is no longer a child and not yet an adult
syn: boyish; girlish
* Most of my friends are adolescents and they can’t solve this problem.
تذکر دادن- گوشزد کردن
admonish /ǝd’manɪ∫ /
v. scold gently
* Her boss admonished her against being late for work again.
اتخاذ کردن- اختیار کردن- اقتباس کردن
adopt /ǝ’dapt /
v. to take and use sth
syn: approve; select
* She decided not to adopt her husband’s name when she got married.
پرستیدن- دوست داشتن- عاشق (کسی یا چیزی) بودن
v. love and respect deeply
syn: admire; cherish
* Mr. Moore is quite a family man; he adores his wife and children.
زرنگ- زیرک- ماهر- زبر دست
adj. quick and shillful
syn: clever; deft
* under the adroit direction of coach Lewis, the team finished the season with twelve wins and no losses.
ظهور- پیدایش- ورود
n. the coming of an important event
syn: arrival; approach
* The weather Bureau gave adequate warning of the advent of the hurricane.
نامطلوب- نامساعد- مخالف
syn: hostile; contrary
* Bacause of adverse reviews, the producer announced that the play will close with tonight’s performance.
حمایت کردن- دفاع کردن
v. person who speaks in defense of another person
syn: adopt; endorse
* The general was sure to advocate that we give the enemy no respite from the bombings.
مهربان- با محبت- دوستانه
adj. friendly and pleasant
ayn: amiable; kindly
* It was affable of you to offer, but I don’t need any help.
شباهت – همانندی- قرابت- علاقه
n. a strong feeling that you like and understand sb/sth, usually because you feel similar to him/ her in some way.
syn: alliance; combination
* He had always had an affinity for wild and lonely places.
syn: opulent; rich
* The new wing to hospital was made possible by a gift of $ 500.000 from an affluent contributor.
توهین کردن- بی احترامی کردن
v. be rude to
syn: offend; insult
* I was affronted when I didn’t even get an answer to my letter.
تأیید کردن- اظهار داشتن
v. declare or state something
syn: aver; assert
* Two eyewitnesses affirmed they had seen the defendant at the scene.
syn: collective; accumulation
* The aggregate strength of the allies was impressive, though individually some were quite weak.
n. person or country that starts a quarrel without cause
syn: assailant; invasive
* In her war with the United States, Japan was the aggressor; her surprise attack on Pearl Harbor started the conflict.
چابک- چالاک- پرتحرک
adj. able to move quickly
syn: active; acute
* A dancer must do strenuous exercises in order to execute the agile movements of his art.
نگران کردن- مضطرب کردن- تکان دادن
syn: confuse; rouse
* Sandra’s parents were agitated when they learned she had failed two subjects.
adj. bright with color
syn: shining brightly
* There was only one candle aglow on the baby’s first birthday cake.
بیماری- ناخوشی- کسالت
v. to be ill
syn: disease; disorder
* Mrs. Thompson is a hypochondriac; she has a new ailment every week.
نیمه باز- پیش
dj. slightly open
syn: not completely open
* She left the door ajar so that she could hear the conversation in the other room.
adj. like; similar
syn: related; congenial
* Jealousy is often akin to love.
گوش به زنگ- هوشیار
adj. quick to see and ask
syn: watchful; perceptive
* Although he was almost ninety years old, he was still active and alert.
syn: adverse; antagonistic
* The entire Russo family are alien of New Jersey except the grandparents, who were born in Itally.
تسکین دادن- آرام کردن- کاهش دادن
v. make less
syn: lessen; relieve
* The nurse will give you something to alleviate the pain.
اتحاد- اتفاق- رابطه
n. an agreement between people and groups together & support each other
syn: union; compact
* The country has military alliance with France.
اختصاص دادن- تخصیص دادن- در نظر گرفتن برای
v. to give sth to sb as his/ her share
syn: allocate; dispense
* Different tasks were allotted to each member of the class.
جذاب- وسوسه انگیز- اغوا کننده
v. attract or charm
syn: tempting; enticing
* She looked very alluring in her black evening dress.
n. an act of speaking about sth indirectlu
syn: irony; metonymy
* The play is full of allusion to classical mythology.
گوشه گیر- درونگرا
adj. distant in feeling; not friendly
syn: reserved; indifferent
* Our neighbors are so aloof and unfriendly that they never speak to anyone.
جمع کردن- روی هم گذاشتن
v. gather or collect in great amounts
syn: accumulate; hoard
* The young girl was warned that she could buy a car if she continued to amass her money.
غیر حرفه ای (آدم) – بی تجربه- تازه کار
n. lacking skill
syn: buff; dilettante
* The performance was staged by a group of amateurs who have been studying dramatics as a hobby.
مبهم- دو پهلو
adj. having more than one meaning
syn: confused; dubious
* To those who could understand every nuance of the cryptic message, there was nothing ambiguous about it.
syn: recover; develop
* Gradually their friendship ameliorated into love.
وسایل آسایش- امکانات رفاهی- تسهیلات
n. something in a place that helps to make living there pleasant or easy
syn: advantage; facility
* Among the town’s amenities are two cinemas and a sports centre.
خوش خلق- مهربان- رئوف
adj. good tempered
syn: affable; agreeable
* Charlotte is an amiable child; everybody likes her.
دوستانه- مسالمت آمیز- محبت آمیز
adj. done in a friendly way
syn: good – natured; delightful
* let us try to settle our differences in an amicable manner.
نادرست- اشتباه- غلط
adj. wrong; not as it should be
syn: awry; erroneous
* When I walked into the room I could sense that something was amiss.
n. loss of memory
syn: a lapse of memory
* He suffered from temporary amnesia as the result of a head injury.
فراوان- زیاد- کافی
adj. enough; plenty
syn: abundant; plenty
* Richard’s scholarship includes a very ample living allowance.
بزرگ شدن- تقویت کردن
v. explain in more detail
syn: enlarge; magnify
* The bacteria shown in your text book have been greatly amplified; their actual size is considerably smaller.
تجزیه و تحلیل- بررسی – آنالیز
n. examination of something
syn: break down; division
* Would you rather listen to a single work of this composer or to an analysis of several of his work?
عذاب – زجر
n. great suffering
syn: distress; pangs
* The injured soldier moaned in anguish until the doctor arrived.
شور و حال بخشیدن- فعال کردن
v. give life
syn: activate; arouse
* If you feel enervated by the heat, try a swim in the cool ocean.
n. history or record of events
* One of the earliest accounts of king Arthur occurs in a 12th century annals of the kings of Britain by Goelfrey of Monmouth.
سالانه- هر ساله- سالنامه
adj. happening once every year
* Some grasses last only a year. Others are annual.
لغو کردن- فسخ کردن- باطل کردن
v. to stop existing
syn: abolish; abrogate
* The wealthy uncle decided to annul his inane nephew’s sinecure.
غیر عادی- غیر معمول
adj. something different from the usual type
syn: abnormal; atypical
* It is an anomalous situation; he is the director of the personal office, but he doesn’t have the authority to hire and dismiss staff.
n. opponent; hatred
syn: adversary; foe
* Great Britain was our antagonist in the war of 1812.
مقدم بودن بر- جلوتر بودن از- جلو انداختن
v. assign a date before the true date
* If you used yesterday’s date on a check written today, you have antedated the check.
حدس زدن- پیش بینی کردن- منتظر بودن
v. guess (what will happen)
syn: forestall; foresee; forecast
* Now I see how foolish I was to anticipate the outcome of the test. I Passed easily.
تنفر- انزجار- تضاد
n. a strong feeling of dislike
syn: aversion; hatred
adj. olf & therefore valuable
syn: aged; ancient
* These lamps, made in England during the fourteenth century, are valuable antiques.
n. fear & worry
syn: apprehension; Concern
* My brother’s anxiety over getting into college ended when he received word that had been accepted.
بی تفاوتی- بی اعتنایی- بی علاقگی
n. a lack of interest in things or of a desire to di anything
syn: coldness; impassivity
He treated our suggestion with complete apathy.
کف زدن- تشویق کردن- تحسین کردن
v. praise by striking one’s hands together.
syn: acclaim; approve
* The audience applauded at the end of the concert.
ارزیابی کردن- ارزشیابی کردن- قیمت گذاشتن (روی)
v. Judge the value of something or someone
syn: evaluate; judge
* Their new house appraised fifty thousand dollars.
مناسب – متناسب
adj. correct; suitable
* An arrangement of flowers is always an appropriate gift for someone in the hospital.
استعداد- توانایی- قابلیت
n. natural ability
syn: capability; tendency
* she has an aptitude for learning languages.
پرشور- وفادار- شیفته
adj. showing strong feelings, especially a strong liking for sb/ sth
syn: eager; devoted
* He was an ardent supporter of the government.
سخت- دشوار- شاق- طاقت فرسا- صعب العبور
adj. needing effort
syn: difficult; tough
* shoveling deep snow is far too arduous a task for a man of his age.
برانگیختن- ایجاد کردن
v. cause to wake
syn: agitate; awaken
* His refusal to walk through the metal detector before boarding the plane aroused the guard’s suspicion.
دستگیر کردن- بازداشت کردن
v. seize by the the power of the law
syn: capture; detain
* When a theif entered the crowded street, one of the police arrested him.
adj. proud in a rude way
syn: conceited; disdainful
The arrogant officials resented that the company president dismissed their demands.
آرزو کردن- خواستن- طلبیدن
v. direct one’s hopes & efforts
syn: crave; aim
* Three candidates aspired to win the election.
اظهار داشتن- بیان کردن- پافشاری کردن
v. declare forcefully
syn: advance; affirm
* Don’t argue with the umpire. If he says you are out, it’s no use asserting you are safe.
دارایی – نعمت- موهبت- امتیاز
n. property that has value
syn: advantage; aid
* His insurance company estimates his assets at over three million dollars.
فرو نشاندن- آرام کردن- تسکین دادن
syn: to ease; to lessen
* Nothing could assuage his anger.
شگفت زده کردن- مبهوت کردن- گیج کردن
v. shock with surprise
syn: amaze; baffle
* The results of his test astounded him because he had not expected to pass.
adj. off the right path
syn: amiss; a drift
* Their neighbor asked them to keep their dog tied so that it would not go astray.
ناقلا- زرنگ- موقع شناس
adj. able to see quickly something that is to one’s advantage
syn: shrewd; wise
* The only one to solve the riddle before the five minutes were up was Joel; he is very astute thinker.
جذب کردن- به سوی خود کشیدن- مجذوب کردن
v. to cause sb/ sth to go to or give attention to sth
syn: charm; allure
* The new film has attracted a lot of publicity.
نسبت دادن به – نتیجه (چیزی) دانستن
v. to believe that sth was caused or done by sb/ sth
syn: apply; charge
* Terry attributes his success to hard work.
جسور- بی باک
syn: adventurous; bold
* Risking serious injury, the outfielder made an audacious leap against the concrete wall & caught the powerfully hit ball.
adj. able to be heard
syn: appreciable; detectable
* The only part of your answer I couldn’t hear was the first word; the rest was audible.
بهبود بخشیدن- زیاد شدن
syn: enhance; enlarge
* The water shortage is augmenting, but it is still a matter of jome concern.
پیشگویی کردن- از غیب خبر دادن
v. to be a good/ bad sign of what will happen in the future.
syn: forebode; bode
* The opinion polls augur well for the government.
اصیل- درست- معتبر
adj. known to be teal
syn: accurate; actual
* When you withdraw money, the bank compares your signature with the one in its files to see if it it authentic.
خودمختار- خودگردان- مستقل- آزاد
adj. governing itself
syn: independent; self-governing
* The Alumni Association is not under the control of the school. It is a completely autonomous group.
حرص- طمع- مال پرستی
n. greed for wealth
syn: covetousness; acquisitiveness
* people who suffer from avarice spend much less & save much more than they should.
n. strong dislike
syn: detestation; animosity
* He must have an aversion to work because he is always out of a job.
جلوگیری کردن- برگرداندن
v. prevent from happening
syn: avoid; ward off
* The mayor promised to do everything in his power to avert a strike by newspaper employees.
مشتاق – تشنه
adj. keen and eager
syn: greedy; fervent
* The people crowded round the radio, avid for news.
کار فرعی- مشغولیت- سرگرمی
n. occupation away from one’s customary occupation
* My uncle, an accountant, composes music as an avocation.
با خبر- آگاه- مطلع
adj. knowing about or realizing sth
syn: heedful; attentive
* I am aware that you will face difficulties.
ناجور- نامناسب- نامساعد
adj. not convenient, difficult
syn: delicate; inept
* My mother always phones at an awkward time.
گیج کردن- متحیر ساختن- مات و مبهوت کردن
v. be too difficult for someone
syn: amaze; astound
* Linda was baffled by the confusing road signs; she didn’t know whether to turn left or go straight.
تاس- کچل- بی مو
adj. with no hair on the head
syn: bald-headed; hairless
* The bald eagle is so named for the white feathers on top of its head which give it the appearance of being without hair.
ممنوع کردن- قدغن کردن- تحریم کردن
syn: banish bar
* Our library’s regulations bans the borrowing of more than four books at a time.
سد – مانع- سنگر
n. something quickly built to block a street.
syn: barrier; blockade
* The highway patrol put a barricade in front of the accident.
زیور آلات بدلی- زرق و برق
n. cheap jewel
syn: bagatelle; tinsel
* I lost one of my best baubles yesterday, It was antique.
اشاره کردن- چشمک زدن
v. call with a movement of the finger
syn: allure; attract
* She beckoned them to enter her office.
رفتار- سلوک- عمل
n. way of behaving
syn: action; conduct
* He was on his best behavior because he wanted to impress his girlfriend’s family.
گول زدن- فریفتن
syn: cheat; deceive
* Her story didn’t beguile me, I knew it was a lie.
(خود را) کوچک کردن- سبک کردن
v. cause to seem unimportant
syn: decry; deprecate
* The building superintendent feels belittled if you refer to him as the “janitor”.
نعره زدن- فریاد کشیدن- با داد و فریاد گفتن
v. shout in a deep voice
syn: clamour; howl
* Sergeant Black bellowed orders to his troops.
ستیزه جو- پرخاشگر- جنگ طلب
n. person who is ready to fight
syn: aggressive; combative
* Bert still likes to settle his arguments with his fists. When will he learn that it’s childish to be so belligerent?
وارث- سود برنده
n. receiver of a benefit
syn: assignee; heir
* The sick & the needy will be the beneficiaries of your gift to the community fund.
n. special natural skill
syn: angled; arched
* Eric is clumsy with tools; he has little mechanical bent.
حمله کردن- به ستوه آوردن
v. attack continuously
syn: pester; embarrass
* The minister beseted the press for misleading the public.
n. liquid for drinking
syn: drink; liquid
* In some states it is illegal to sell alcoholic beverages on Sunday.
گیج کردن- سر درگم کردن
Bewilder/ bɪ’wɪldǝr /
syn: baffle; bamboozled
* I need help with the fourth problem; it bewilders me.
یکی به دو کردن- دعوا مرافعه کردن
v. quarrel about small matters
syn: argue; clash
* When I left, two neighbors were quarreling noisily. When I returned an hour later, they were bickering.
نصف کردن- دو نیم کردن- دو قسمت کردن
v. divide into two
syn: split; intersect
* The fields were bisected by hedges and streams.
adj. not sweet
syn: scid; harsh
* your coffee is bitter because you forgot to put sugar in it.
مقصر دانستن- سرزنش کردن- ایراد گرفتن
v. consider responsible for something bad
syn: censure; complaint
* No0 fault insurance does not require anyone to accept the blame for an auto accident in order to be reimbursed by the company.
چرب زبانی- زبان بازی- چاپلوسی
n. persuasion by flattery
syn: coax; beguile
* Despite his sister’s blandishments, he refused to lie to their parents.
یأس آور- تیره و تار – لخت
adj. cold & cheerless
syn: bare; barren
* In winter, when the trees are bare and snow covers the ground, the landscape is very bleak.
مخلوط کردن- قاطی کردن- مخلوط شدن
v. mix together
syn: coalesce; combine
* This tea is a blend of lemon and herbs.
سرسر – سطحی- بی خیال- آسوده خاطر
adj. free from care
syn: animated; carefree
* Connie’s father calls her blithe spirit because she is very lighthearted and carefree.
n. severe snowstorm
syn: snow-squall; tempest
* Since visibility is near zero, all planes will be grounded until the blizzard is over.
n. stupid mistake
syn: bloomer; clanger
* Have you ever committed the blunder of mailing a letter without a postage stamp?
سرخ شدن- خجالت کشیدن
v. become red in the face
syn: colour; flush
* She always blushes when she is embarrassed.
ترقی کردن- رونق داشتن
v. a period in which sth increases or develops very quickly
syn: increase; develop
* Business is booming in the Japanese car industry.
لطف- احسان- نعمت
n. comfort; help
syn: advantage; benefaction
* The selection of president Kennedy was a national boon.
بالا و پایین پریدن- برگشت خوردن
v. to move away quickly after it has hit a hard surface
syn: jump; leap
* In tennis, the ball can only bounce once before you hit it back.
n. outer limit; border
syn: barrier; border
* The boundaries of the continental United States are Canada on the north, Mexico on the south, the Atlantic ocean on the east and Pacific ocean on the west.
بی حد و حصر- نامحدوده
syn: countless; endless
* Mary Anne has boundless energy; she works full time as a secretary, goes to school at night, and serves as a hospital volunteer on weekends.
تحریم کردن- بایکوت کردن
v. to refuse to buy things from a particular company
syn: ban; refuse
* Several countries boycotted the Olympic Games in protest.
تکان دادن- تاب دادن- در دست چرخاندن
v. wave about
syn: display; exhibit
* When he brandished a knife, the clerk agreed to give him the money in the cash drawer.
دعوا و مرافعه – کتک و کتک کاری- دست به یقه شدن
n. nosiy quarrel
syn: affray; argument
* The brawl got louder and louder until the police arrived.
نقض کردن- زیر پا گذاشتن
n. act of bteaking a low
syn: contravention; disruption
* Parking at the bus stop is illegal. Motorists committing this breach are heavily fined.
رشوه دادن- تطمیع کردن
v. inflyence unfairly by gifts
syn: allurement; incentive
* Hopomg to avoid a ticket, he offered the patrolman a bribe.
n. short statement of facts or instructions
* When he was appointed he was given the brief of improving the image of the organization.
n. edge of a cup
syn: border; brink
* Please do no dill my cup up to the brim because I always put a lot of cream in my coffee.
لب- لبه – مرز
n. edge; margin
syn: bank; boundary
* The tourists walked over to the brink of the cliff to take a picture.
adj. hard but easily broken
syn: breakable; crisp
* My fingernails are so brittle that they break off before they get long enough to polish.
وحشی- بی رحم
adj. without tender feeling
syn: callous; coarse
* The murder was so brutal that the jury was not allowed to see the police photographs.
قلدر- گردن کلفت- زورگو
n. person who hurts weaker people
syn: bouncer; browheater
* Eddie liked to be bully with the younger boys, but he never tries to fight with anyone in his own age.
برخورد کردن با- قلنبه شدن
v. knock violently.
syn: bang; budge
* When the little boy fell down, he skinned his knees and got a bump on his head.
n. wall built for defense
syn: citadel; fortress
* Some feel that the United States should be a bulwark to the inchoate democracies around the world.
گروه توطئه [سیاست]
n. a group of people united in a scheme to promote their views by intrigne.
* All members of the cabal will be prosecuted for treason.
مخفی گاه [اسلحه و غیره] – انبار موقت
n. secret store of things
* Through a fortuitous remark. The cache of the art thieves was discovered.
با زبان بازی (کسی را) راضی کردن
v. persuade by praise or false promises
syn: beguile; coax
* The child wasn’t hungry, but his mother cajoled him into eating a little.
حساب کردن- تخمین زدن
v. find out by using using numbers
syn: aim; compute
* I’ve been calculating the costs involved & it’s too expensive.
سنگدل- بی رحم- بی عاطفه
syn: cold; hardened
* Even the most callous observer would be moved by the news
اسیر- زندانی- محبوس
n. prisoner, esp: taken in war
syn: hostage; detainee
* Several captives are being held pending payment of a 50 thousand dollar ransom.
ایراد گرفتن- نق زدن
adj. complain unnecessarily
syn: biting; nagging
* Stop carping! I’ll do it as soon as I can.
syn: administer; endure
* How long did the party carry on after I lefr?
تراشیدن- کندن- بریدن
adj. to slice meat
syn: ship; chisel
* The statue had been carved out of marble.
انداختن- بیرون کردن- حساب کردن
v. to throw out of town
syn: diffuse; fling
* Early every morning the fishermen cast their nets into the sea.
تنبیه کردن- سرزنش کردن- ادب کردن
v. punish severely
syn: chastise; penalise
* Shirley was castigated by her mother for staying out too late.
بلا- فاجعه- مصیبت
n. violent event; a great flood
syn: calamity; blow
* One of the most terrible cataclysms in the history of the United States was the Johnstown Flood in Pennsylvania in 1889.
فاجعه آمیز- اسف بار
adj. sudden terrible misfortune.
syn: adversity; affliction
* The war had a catastrophic effect on the whole country.
v. give esp: land, after losing a war
syn: abandon; abdicate
* They refused to cede their rights to the land and declared war.
جشن گرفتن- ستایش کردن
v. mark an event by enjoying oneself
syn: bless; commemorate
* Americans celebrate the Fourth of July with a bang.
عیب جو- خرده گیر- عیب جویانه
adj. always looking for mistakes and faults
syn: caviling; condemnatory
* The bombing of the airport brought censorious discussion from all around the world.
صدمین – صد ساله- جشن صدمین سالگرد
n. 100th ex: anniversary
۱۹۸۲ was the centennial of Charles Darwin’s death,
قطع- توقف- وقفه
n. short pause or stop
syn: halt; stoppage
* Work came to a cessation when the machine broke down.
n. annoyance and disappointment
* She was overcome by chagrin at the check out counter when she discovered she had left her wallet at home.
اغتشاش- هرج و مرج- آشوب
n. complete confusion
syn: anarchy; bedlam
* The accident has caused chaos on the M25 motorway.
n. person who falsely claims a special skill.
syn: cheat; fraud
* Millions of pounds are lost every year in credit card charlatan.
n. very deep crack in the earth
syn: breach; canyon
* She was dismissed from the company for chasm of contract.
adj. avoiding wrong sexual activity
syn: austere; innocent
* Her parents had taught her that she should behave like a chaste & modest young lady.
adj. low in price
syn: bargain; budget
* It’s cheaper to buy a return ticket than two singles.
syn: blowy; breezy
* It’d a chilly morning. You need a cost on.
جوانمرد- بلند همت
adj. good manners shown by a man towards woman.
syn: bold; brave
* A chivalrous gentleman helped the frightened woman into the life boat.
وظیفه- کار روزمره – مسوولیت
n. piece of regular or dull work
syn: burden; duty
* It’s your chore to look after the children because I want to go at work.
ترتیب زمانی- رویدادشماری- تاریخ شناسی
n. science that gives dates to events
syn: historical; progressive
* Christ has a degree in chronology.
دوست – رفیق
syn: companion; comrade
* Jim is eager to see his old school chums at the class reunion.
غلبه کردن بر- از سر راه خود برداشتن- چیزی را دور زدن
v. avoid by cleverness.
* To circumvent local sales taxes, shoppers often buy in neighboring communities that do not have such taxes.
از جنس مرکبات- [مربوط به] مرکبات
adj. orange family
* When you catch a cold you should drink citrus fruit.
کف زدن- دست زدن (برای)
v. strike one’s hands together
syn: acclaim; applaud
* The crowd clapped &cheered as the football team ran onto the field.
روشن کردن- توضیح دادن- شرح دادن
v. make more easily understood
syn: define; explain
* I hope that what I say will clarify the situation.
طبقه بندی کردن- رده بندی کردن- به حساب آوردن
v. arrange into classes
syn: assort; catalogue
* The books in a library are usually classified according to the subject.
* Judge Mccarthy often exercises clemency with first offenders.
کلیشه- تکرار مکرّرات
n. expression or idea used so often it has lost much of its force
syn: banality; bromide
* The speaker’s lecture was full of clichés, which annoyed his audience greatly.
مشتریان – ارباب رجوع
n. clients; customers
syn: consumer; customer
* Maria’s boutique appealed to a very wealthy clientele.
به هم ریختن- به هم زدن- شلوغ کردن
v. make untidy
syn: Confusion; disarray
* The secretary’s desk was cluttered up with papers & reference materials.
در هم ادغام شدن- یکی شدن- یکپارچه شدن
v. grow together; unite
syn: join; link
* The tribes coalesced to withstand the forces that were destroying their livelihood.
به زور وادار کردن- مجبور کردن- تحت فشار قرار دادن
v. force to do something
syn: bludgeon; bully
* The hijackers tried to coerce the crew into cooperating with them.
قانع کننده- محکم- مستدل
adj. forceful; convincing
syn: vigorous; compelling
* His ideas were so cogent that no one offered an argument against them.
سکه- پول خرد
n. piece of metal money
syn: bit; money
* Every country has a special coin & you can’t buy anything with French coin in Canada, you should change your coin.
همکاری کردن- (با دشمن) همدست بودن
v. work together
syn: collude; conspire
* She collaborated with another author author on the book.
مرتب کردن- منظم کردن
v. compare (copies of books, etc.)
syn: arrange; compose
* I sat down and collated a letter of reply.
محاورهای – گفتاری
adj. suitable for informal conversation
syn: controversial; familiar
* We have a colloquial TV program tonight.
عظیم- بزرگ- غول آسا
adj. extremely large
syn: enormous; gigantic
* The Titanic struck a colossal iceberg.
نبرد- جنگ- دعوا- رزم- نزاع- درگیری
n. struggle; fight
syn: action; battle
* He got a medal for bravery in combat.
راحت- آسوده- آرام
adj. giving comfort
syn: adequate; agree
* Our hotel room was large & comfortable
شروع کردن- آغاز کردن
v. begin; start
syn: embark on; initiate
* Graduation will commence at ten o’clock.
تعریف کردن- تحسین کردن- ستودن
v. praise; put into semeone’s care
syn: acclaim; applaud
* Dean was commended for his excellent work.
[میان خانه و محل کار] مسافر هر روزه
v. travel regularly between home and work
syn: daily journey
* The average commuter would welcome a chance to live in the vicinity of his or her work.
مقایسه کردن- تشبیه کردن- قابل قیاس بودن
v. judge against another thing
syn: balance; contrast
* If you compare the old & new models, you’ll see the changes we’ve made.
رحم- ترحم- دلسوزی
syn: pity; sorrow
* She felt compassion for the people who were living in the disaster area.
سازگار- هماهنگ- جور
adj. able to exist or work together
syn: adaptable; agreeable
* As a couple, they are simply not compatible.
رقابت کردن- مسابقه دادن- در تعارض بودن
v. try to win in a competition
syn: battle; challenge
* When the amateur became a pro he had to compete against better man.
شکل- صورت ظاهر
n. natural appearance
syn: aspect; composition
* This news puts a completely different complexion on our situation.
n. an expression of praise
syn: accolade; admiration
* people have often paid her compliments on her piano playing
اشکال- دشواری- پیچیدگی
n. made of many connected
syn: diversity; complication
* I don’t have time to explain the complexities of the chemical process now.
n. agree to do something; obey
syn: consent; concurrence
* You should be a compliant if you want to work here.
تشکیل دهنده- قطعه- جزء
n. any part of a whole machine or system
syn: bit; element
* If you want to be a good driver, first of all you should know car components very well.
درک کردن- دریافتن
v. understand; include
syn: apprehend; comprise
* She’s too young to comprehend what has happened.
اجباری – ناخواسته
adj. that must be done by law
syn: binding; imperative
* Maths and English are compulsory subjects on this course.
پوشاندن- پنهان کردن- مخفی کردن
syn: bury; obscure
* He tried to conceal his identity by disguising his voice.
موجز- مختصر- فشرده
adj. expressing a lot in a few works
syn: abbreviated; summary
* He gave a clear & concise summary of what had happened.
پایان دادن – ختم کردن- تصمیم گرفتن
v. end or to bring sth to an end
syn: assume; deduce
* The prince concluded his tour with a visit to a charity concert.
به طور قاطع- با قاطعیت
adv. serving to end an unsettled matter
* Remember that your answer will be treated conclusively. You will not be permitted to change it.
syn: blend; combination
* put this concoction into a baking dish and cook for half an hour.
سازگار بودن- موافق بودن- موافقت کردن
v. agree; happen at the same time
syn: accord; conform
* Andrew has concurred to lend me his car for the weekend.
موافقت- توافق- تقارن
n. an agreement, usually by equals
syn: harmony; bargain
* The president & the congress are in concurrence concerning this appointment.
adj. likely to produce
syn: advantageous; beneficial
* This hot weather is not conducive to hard work.
پذیرفتن- قبول داشتن- نادیده گرفتن
v. forgive (wrong behavior)
syn: allow; ignore
* I can never condone violence, no matter what the circumstances are.
اعطا کردن- مشورت کردن- تبادل نظر کردن
v. talk together
syn: consult; deliberate
* The president is conferring with his advisers.
محرمانه گفتن- اطمینان کردن
v. keep within the limits
syn: admit; breathe
* She didn’t confide her love to anyone, not even to her best friend.
n. belief in one’s own ability
syn: assured; certain
* kate feels confident of passing this exam because she studys so hard.
تأیید کردن- اثبات کردن
v. support; give proof of
syn: approve; endorse
* Seeing the two of them together confirmed our suspicions.
مصادره کردن- توقیف کردن- ضبط کردن
v. seixe officially
syn: remove; impound
* Any cigarettes found in school will be confiscated.
سفت شدن- ماسیدن- منجمد کردن
v. become solid
syn: clot; curdle
* The Christmas candles congealed in the molds.
مطلوب- مساعد- مطبوع- دلپسند
adj. in agreement with one’s tastes
syn: appropriate; attractive
* We spent an evening in congenial company.
مادزادی- فطری- ذاتی
adj. existing from one’s birth
syn: natural’ innate
* Regular prenatal checkups can help to reduce congenital birth defects.
تراکم- ازدحام- ترافیک
syn: jam; mass
* I always take the bus to work because the congestion in the city makes it difficult to find a parking place,
حدس زدن- احتمال دادن- گمان بردن
syn: estimate; suspect
* I guess you’re tired after your long journey.
خبره- صاحب نظر
n. person with special knowledge of art, wine, etc.
syn: authority; buff
* The legal connoisseurs are trying to resist the reforms.
نتیجۀ- ناشی از- متعاقب
adj. following as a result
syn: ensuing; resulting
* The lack of rain and consequent poor harvests have led to food shortages.
با وجدان- دارای وجدان کار- جدی – دقیق
adj. careful and honest
syn: diligent; faithful
* Mike is a very conscientious student; he studies in the library every night.
محافظه کار- عضو حزب محافظه کار
adj. not liking change
syn: cautious; guarded
* They have very conservative tastes. This design is too moderm for them.
حفظ کردن- ذخیره کردن- صرفه جویی کردن
v. use carefully
syn: hoard; save
* Higher charges will encourage people to conserve water.
سازکار – یک جور
adj. not changing
syn: accordant; coherent
* You should be consistent. If you punish Jason, you must punish Paul for doing the same thing.
استحکام بخشیدن- ادغام کردن- یکی کردن
v. combine into one
syn: compact; unite
* We’re going to consolidate what we’ve learnt so far by doing some revision exercises today.
n. great shock and fear
syn: anxiety; dismay
* We stared at each other in consternation.
مصرف کردن- صرف کردن – از بین بردن
v. eat or drink
syn: devour; demolish
* The United States imports 45% of the oil it consumes.
آلوده کردن- خراب کردن- فاسدکردن
v. make impure or dirty
syn: stain; corrupt
* The town’s drinking- water was contaminated with poisonous chemicals.
رضایت مشتری- خشنودی- رضایت خاطر
n. happy or satisfied
syn: comfort; ease
* We finally made a decision that was to everyone’s contentment.
قرارداد بستن- پیمان بستن- کسب کردن
v. arrange by formal agreement
syn: compress; negotiate
* His film has been contracted to supply all the furniture for the new building.
جر و بحث – مشاجره- مناقشه
Controversy / ‘kantr∂’v∂rsi /
n. fierce argument; causing controversy
syn: dispute; discussion
* The plans for changing the city centre caused a great deal of controrersy.
معمول- متداول- سنتی
adj. following accepted customs
syn: arbitrary; common
* The house was built with conventional materials but in a totally new style.
n. act of converting
syn: adaptation; change
* The conversion of the English system to the metric system will be difficult for the people in the United States.
دوستانه- صمیمانه- گرم- باصفا
adj. merry and friendly
syn: cordial; intimate
* Every one here is so convivial towards us.
متقاعد کردن- قانع کردن
v. to succeed in making sb believe sth.
syn: assure, confirm
She convinced him of the need to go back.
هسته- قسمت اصلی
n. central part
syn: heart; nucleus
* Overpopulation is at the core of many other problems including food shortages and inadequate housing.
adj. very fat
syn: beefy; fleshy
* You’ll get corpulent if you eat too much.
خوردگی- پوسیدگی- فرسایش
n. the process of being destroyed by chemical action
syn: abrasion; destruction
* The were brought death and corrosion to the city.
محفل- جرگه- حلقه
n. small group having something in common
syn: band; combination
Many young people start smoking because of pressure from their peer coterie.
n. group of people appointed or elected to manage sth
syn: conference; committee
* The county council has decided to build a new road.
پند- توصیه- پیشنهاد
n. law legal advisor acting for someone
syn: advice; consultation
* Mr. Dean’s lawyers counselled him against making public statements.
قرار داد- قول نامه
n. formal agreement
syn: commitment; bargain
* When I agreed to help him I didn’t have any covenant for how much it would cost me.
(آدم) ترسو- بُزدل- جبون
n. one who lacks courage
syn: faint- heart; renegade
* After his friends called him a coward, he agreed to fight.
راحت- دوستانه- گرم
adj. warm and comfortable
syn: cosy; friendly
* The room looked cozy and inviting in the fire light.
آرزو کردن- مردن برای- التماس کردن
v. have a very strong desire for
syn: desire; implore
* He craves attention from other people.
آفریدن- خلق کردن- بوجود آوردن
v. cause something new; to exist; make
syn: beget; appoint
* All these changes will simply create confusion.
زودباور- صاف و صادق- ساده لوح
adj. gullible; inclined to believe too readily
syn: naive; trusting
* Donna is so credulous that she will believe anything you tell her.
کیش- مذهب- اعتقاد
n. system of (esp.religious) beliefs
syn: articles; dogma
* Equal rights regardless of sex, race or creed are guaranteed by the constitution.
دمغ- افسرده- مأیوس
syn: sad; depressed
* Lucy was deeply crestfallen at not being chosen for the team.
بحرانی- حاد- وخیم
adj. finding fault
syn: crucial; decisive
* The report was very critical of safety standards on the railways.
بسیار مهم- حساس- حیاتی
adj. of the greatest important
syn: central; important
* Early diagnosis of the illness is crucial for successful treatment.
خام- ابتدایی- ناپخته
adj. in a natural state
syn: raw; rough
* Crude oil is refined by heating it in a closed still.
گشتن- گشت زدن
adj. sail slowly for pleasure
syn: captain; glide
* A police car cruises past the school every hour.
خرده نان- خرده
n. small piece of dry food esp. bread
syn: bit of bread
* The children like to feed crumbs to the birds and squirrels in the park.
رمزی- مرموز- اسرارآمیز
adj. with a hidden meaning
syn: abstrue; ambiguous
* In spite of efforts by several universities, the cryptic symbols on the mural remained a mystery.
آشپزی- پخت و پز- دست پخت
n. style of cooking
* She has been chosen as the best cook because of her special cuisine.
منتهی شدن به- انجامیدن به
v. reach the last and highest point
syn: climax; terminate
* The team’s efforts culminated in victory in the national championships.
مقصر- مجرم- گناهکار
adj. deserving blame
syn: guilt; fault
* Whether or not he is culpable will be determined by the jury.
هم اکنون- اینک- فعلاً
adr.of the present time
syn: up to date; prevalent
* He is currently working in Spain.
تند- خشن- خشک
adj. impolitely short
syn: harsh; rough
* She gave him a curt reply and slammed the phone down.
مختصر کردن- کاهش دادن
v. shorten; reduce
syn: abbreviate; abridge
* Doctors have advised us to curtail the amount of fat in our diets.
بدبین – منفی
adj. person who sees little good in anything and shows it by making unkind remarks
syn: contemptuous; pessimistic
* She takes a cynical view of politics.
n. short knife used as a weapon
syn: stiletto; dirk
* He plunged a dagger into her heart.
n. harm; loss
syn: destruction; detriment
* The arms scandal did considerable damage to relations between the two countries.
adj. not discouraged
syn: bold; brave
* Not many people are dauntless enough to say exactly what they think.
آویزان بودن- تاب خوردن- تکان تکان خوردن
v. hang loosely
syn: droop; swing
* He dangled the keys in front of me, “you can drive if you want.” He said.
n. a street that is only open at one end
syn: blind alley; standstill
* You should never overtake on a dead end.
آراسته- شیک- خوش لباس
adj. cheerful & fashionably dressed
syn: modish; stylish
* Tom remained debonair throughout his illness.
بازمانده ها- بقایا
n. broken remains; ruins
syn: brash; drift
* we went to look at the debris of the castle last night.
n. person who owes money
syn: bankrupt; bottower
* The accounting office sends a bill to all of the company’s debtors at the end of the month.
دهه- ده سال
n. period of years
* The decade from 1960 through 1970 was marred by race riots and political assassinations in the United States.
syn: defunct; finished
* He inherited the house from his deceased parents.
ادب- لطف- بزرگواری
n. being socially acceptable
syn: decorum; modesty
* She had the decency to admit that it was her fault.
n. floor of a ship
* I’m going out on deck for some fresh air.
رد کردن- عذر خواستن- سرباز زدن
v. become worse or less
syn: avoid; deny
* Thank you for the invitation but I’m afraid I have to decline.
سالخورده- فرسوده- قراضه
adj. weak from old age
syn: frail; antiquated
* The city buses are in decrepit condition, but the transit company does not have funds to purchase new ones.
وقف کردن- اختصاص دادن به
v. give to a serious purpose
syn: address; assign
* He dedicated his life to helping the poor.
عمل – کردار
n. lit something done; action
syn: act; performance
* Deeds are more important than words.
n. failure to fulfil a contract, pay a debt
syn: absence; neglect
* They won by default, because the other team didn’t turn up.
n. something that is wrong with
syn: blemish; desert
* Because of a defect in his hearing the teacher gave him a seat in the front row.
کمبود- نقص- عیب
n. something that is not good enough
syn: dearth; flaw
* The problem were caused by deficiencies in the design.
از شکل انداختن- از ریخت انداختن
v. change the shape of sth so that it is unnatural
syn: distort; corrupt
* In spite of several corrective operations, his foot is still badly deformed.
delete/ dɪ’lit /
v. to cross out or leave out part of sth.
syn: cancel; erase
* I will not be able to attend the meeting. Delete as appropriate.
عمداً- تعمداً- آگاهانه
adv. thinking about sth.
syn: heedful; thoughtful
* He deliberately left the letter on her desk so that she would find it.
وهم- تصور باطل- خیال واهی
n. a false belief
syn: deception; error
* He seems to be under the delusion that he’s popular.
سقوط – ورشکستگی- فوت
n. death of a person
syn: collapse; decease
* Poor business decisions led to the sompany’s demise.
خراب کردن- نفی کردن- درهم کوبیدن
v. to destroy sth
syn: defeat; raze
* She demolished his argument in one sentence.
سوراخ کردن- قر کردن
to damage sth by hitting it and making a hollow place in it.
syn: depress; indent
* I hit a wall and dented the front of the car.
وابسته- متکی به
adj. needing sb/sth to support you
syn: conditional; determined by
* The industry is heavily dependent on governmentfunding.
اسف انگیز- تأسف آور- مایۀ تأسف
adj. morally bad and deserving disapproval
syn: appalling; dire
* Our mistake had deplorable results and I was fired my job.
ارزش (چیزی) کاهش یافتن- از ارزش افتادن
v. to lose value, esp as a result of use or age.
syn: decrease; deflate
* I feel that I must depreciate the allocation of funds for such an unproductive purpose.
n. a statement that sth is not true
syn: denial; denudation
* The minister issued a deprivation that he was involved in the scandal.
محروم کردن- بی نصیب کردن
v. to prevent sb/ sth from having sth;
syn: divest; bereave
* His father deprived him of his allowance as a punishment for misbehaving.
نمایندگی (کسی را) را عهده گرفتن- جانشین(کسی) بودن
v. to act for sb who is absent or unable to do sth.
syn: substitute; replace
* Margaret Thatcher was deputized as prime minister by John Major.
به مسخره گرفتن- استهراء کردن- ریشخند کردن
v. to say that sth is ridiculous
syn: belittle; disdain
* The other boys derided him because of his funny haircut.
بدست آوردن- کسب کردن
v. to get sth from sth
syn: acquire; gain
* I derive great satisfaction from my work.
فرود آمدن- پایین آمدن- سرازیر شدن
v. to go down to a lower place.
syn: fall; drop
* The plan started to descend and a few minutes later we landed.
تعیین کردن- مشخص کردن- در نظر گرفتن
v. to show or mark sth
syn: allot; describe
* These arrows designate the emergency exits.
به رغمِ- برخلافِ- با وجود اینکه
prep. used to show that sth happened although you would not ecpect it.
syn: against; in spite of
* The scheme went ahead despite public opposition.
خراب کردن- ویران کردن
v. to damage sth so badly
syn: demolish; break
* The defeat destroyed his confidence.
یافتن- پیداکردن- پی بردن به
v. to notice or discover sth that is difficult to see, etc.
syn: ascertain; disern
* I detected a slight change in his attitude.
وخامت – تیرگی(رابطه) خرابی
n. to become worse
syn: decay; decline
* Many of the old houses had fallen into deterioration.
زیان بخش- مضر- به ضررِ- به زیانِ
adj. harming or damaging sb/ sth
syn: adverse; destructive
* Too much alcohol is detrimental to your health.
متنفر بودن- تنفر داشتن- منزجر بودن
v. to hate or dislike
syn: abhor; deplore
* They absolutely detest each other
ویران کننده- ویرانگر- خانمان برانداز
adj.that destroys sth conpletely
syn: destructive; disastrous
* The closure of the factory was a devastating blow to the workers.
منحرف شدن- دور شدن- دوری جستن
v. to change the way you think or behave
syn: depart; differ
* He never once deviated from his Christian principles.
ابداع کردن- اختراع کردن- ساختن
v. to invent a plan, system
syn: arrange; construct
* They’ve devised a plan for keeping traffic out of the city centre.
شیطانی- اهریمنی- پلید
adj. very cruel or bad
syn: damnable; devilish
* we had a diabolical journey traffic jams all the way.
دوگانگی- دوشاخگی- تقسیم دو جزئی
n. division into
syn: isolation; distinction
* we must make a dichotomy between classical and popular music here.
غذای روزمره- رژیم غذایی- برنامه غذایی روزانه
n. the food that a person or animal usually eats.
syn: dietary; nutrition
* The peasants live on a diet of rice & vegetables.
فقدان اعتماد به نفس- تزلزل
n. lacking confidence
syn: insecurity; shyness
* Although he displays diffidence with strangers, he is very self-confident with friends.
از موضوع منحرف شدن- حاشیه رفتن
v. move away from the subject
syn: deviate; depart
* The lecturer digressed from the subject so often that it was difficult to take notes.
گشاد شدن-گشاد کردن- شرح و بسط دادن
v. become wider by stretching
syn: broaden; elaborate
* The shutter of a camera will dilate in darkness in a way similar to the pupil of one’s eye.
دو راهی- تنگنا
n. difficult choice between two things
syn: plight; predicament
* Doctors face the moral dilemma of when to keep patients alive artificially and when to let them die.
سخت کوش- کوشا- ساعی
adj. steady effort
syn: active; attentive
* Mr. carson’s secretary is a very diligent worker, she always stays at the office ling after everyone else has gone home.
ریز- خرد- کوچک
adj. very small
syn: tiny; minute
* Bill is a diminutive form of the name William.
adj. dirty and faded
syn: colourless; dark
* Despite its dingy exterior, the little house was very bright and cheerful inside.
هدایت کردن- راهنمایی کردن- راه را نشان دادن
v. control; manage
syn: govern; lead
* I was directed to an office at the end of the corridor.
فاجعه- مصیبت- بلا
n. sudden serious misfortune
syn: calamity; catastrophe
* The school play was an absolute disaster.
منحل کردن- منحل شدن
v. break up
syn: scatter; dissolve
* After the elections, the nominating committee will be disbanded.
دور انداختن- کنار گذاشتن
v. get rid of; throw away
syn: abandon; dispense with
I would like to discard the old tests and purchase the revised editions for next semester.
تشخیص دادن- تمیز دادن- دیدن
v. see or understand esp with difficulty
syn: ascertain; determine
* I discerned a note of anger in his voice.
ناراحت کردن- اوقات (کسی را) تلخ کردن
v. worry uspet
syn: confuse; hinder
She was disconcerted when everyone stopped talking & listened to her.
ناراضی- ناخشنود- دمغ
adj. annoyed & disappointed
syn: dissastisfied; sullen
* I shall be extremely disgruntled if he turns up late again.
فرستادن- ارسال کردن- اعزام کردن
syn: transmit; perform
* Your order will be dispatched from our warehouse within days.
صرف نظر کردن (از) – کنار گذاشتن
Dispense with/dɪ’spεns wiθ/
v. do without
syn: abolish; discard
* They decided to dispense with luxuries and live a simple life.
متفرق کردن- پراکنده کردن- پخش کردن
v. to separate and go in different directions
syn: distribut; dispel
When the meeting was over. The group dispersed.
انهدام – دوری ریزی- خنثی سازی
n. the act of getting rid of sth
syn: assignment; removal
* They put their house at my disposal.
ننگین- غیر قابل اعتماد
adj. not deserving to be trusted
syn: derogatory; disgraceful
* A disreputable area is full of criminal activity.
تشریح کردن- تجزیه و تحلیل کردن
v. to cup up a dead body, a plant in order to examine its structure
syn: analyse; break down
* The literary critics dissected every sentence in the essay.
ترویج کردن- منتشر کردن
syn: promulgate; broaden
* The world cup soccer Games will be disseminated internationally by television satellites.
مشاجره – نزاع
n. disagreement; argument
syn: conflict; dissent
* There is some dissension within the Labour party on these policies.
حل کردن- ناپدید شدن
v. make a solid to become liquid
syn: break up; disappear
* Dissolve two tablets in cold water.
adj. ectremely sad & upset
syn: anxious; distressed
* I was quite distraught at losing my purse.
منحرف کردن- برگرداندن
v. to change the direction or purpose of sb/sth
syn: avert; deflect
* Government money was diverted from defence to education & training.
افشا کردن- برملا کردن
v. to teel a secret
syn: confess; declare
* The phone companies refused to divulge details of their costs.
سر به راه – رام- آرام
adj. quiet & easy to control
syn: controlled; quiet
* Please keep the children docile when I’m on the phone.
اهدا کردن- دادن
v. to give money or goods to an organization
syn: contribute; proffer
* She donated a large sum of money to cancer research.
غیر فعال- خفته- خاموش
adj. not active for sometime
syn: asleep; inactive
* This virus remains dormant in the body.
چرت زدن- چرت
v. to sleep lightly and/ or for a short time
syn: drop off; sleep
* He was dosing in front of the television.
کشیدن – کشاندن- روی زمین کشیدن
v. to pull sb/ sth along with difficulty
syn: draw; haul
* The box was so heavy that we had to drag it along the floor.
v. to make sb/sth completely wet
syn: douse; drown
* We got absolutely drenched in the storm.
n. a long period of weather which is too dry
syn: aridity; dryness
* Drought has effected many countries in Africa.
خواب آلود- خواب آور- بی حال کننده
adj. very sleepy
syn: dazed; drugged
* The heat made me feel drowsy.
مشکوک- مظنون- دودل
adj. not sure or certain.
syn: ambiguous; doubtful
* I’m very dubious about whether we’re doing the right thing.
بادوام- ماندنی- ماندگار
adj. that is able to last a long time
syn: abiding; constant
Even though leather gloves ate much more expensive, they are more durable than vinyl.
مدت- زمان- طی مدت
n. the time that sth lasts
syn: continuation; extent
* Please remain seated for the duration of the flight.
شفق- غروب- غروب آفتاب
n. the time in the evening when the sun has already gone down & it’s nearly dark.
syn: sunset; inghtfall
* Tge fireworks display will begin at dusk.
زمین لرزه- زلزله
n. a sudden violent movement of the earth’s surface.
syn: shake; earth- tremor
* Thousands of people were killed & many more left homeless by the earthquake.
آسان گیر- راحت- پرتحمل
adj. calm, relaxed & not easily worried
syn: relaxed; comfortable
* Her parents are very easygoing. They let her do what she wants.
نامتعارف- غیر عادی
adj. strange or unusual
syn: abnormal; bizsrre
* People said he was mad but I think he was just slightly eccentric.
adj. costing less time, money, fuel
syn: careful; cheap
* The country faces growing economical problems.
اثر گذاشتن روی- موجب شدن
v. to cause sth to happen
syn: accomplish; create
* All these changes will simply effect confusion.
لایق- قابل- با کفایت
adj. able to work well without making mistakes
syn: capable; effective
* You must find a more, efficient way of organizing your time.
سپری شدن- [زمان] گذشتن
v. used about time to pass
syn: go by; pass
* The street was crowded and time was elapsing slowly.
syn: aged; senile
* The elderly people need special care in winter.
به برق وصل کردن- به هیجان آوردن
v. to supply sth with electricity
syn: amaze; astonish
The reilways are being electrified as quickly as possible.
موجب شدن – درآوردن
v. to get information, facts, a reaction
syn: result; generate
* I think this new product will elicit a lot of income for the company.
حذف کردن- کنار گذاشتن
v. to remove sb/sth that is not wanted or needed
syn: delete; expel
* We must try and eliminate wastage.
نخبگان- برگزیده- تراز اول
n. a social group that is thought to be the best or most important
syn: best; nobility
* This family has so many elites in spite of many difficulties.
فصاحت- بلاغت- زبان آوری
adj. able to speak well & influence other people
* The actor’s eloquence moved his andience to tears.
روشن کردن- توضیح دادن- شرح دادن
v. to make understandable
syn: explain; illustrate
* Professor Rhode’s explanation served to obscure rather than to elucidate the theory.
تزیین کردن- زینت دادن
v. to add sth in order to make a thing more attractive
syn: adorn; decorate
* I think it’s about time we embellished the living room.
گریز پا- فرار- مبهم
adj. not easy to find, catch or remember
syn: baffling; puzzling
* The instructions were so elusive that I was absolutely confused.
v. to leave your own country to go & live in another
* They emigrated to Australia twenty years ago.
n. a person or company that employs other perople
syn: boss; business
* The car factory is a large employer in this town.
تجاوز کردن- غصب کردن
v. to take away part of sth
syn: invade; intrude
* I do hope that I do not encroach upon your free time.
افزایش دادن- افزودن به
v. to improve sth or to make sth look better
syn: boost; improve
* Her beautiful clothes enhance her appearance.
n. something that is difficult to understant
syn: riddle; puzzle
* The reasons for his action have remained an enigma to historians.
فرستادن- پخش کردن
v. to send out sth
syn: diffuse; discharge
* Radiation is emitted as a cousequence of a nuclear reaction.
n. the force that you give to a word or phrase
syn: attention; force
* There’s a lot of emphasis on science at our school.
پیروی کردن- تقلید کردن
v. to try to do sth as well as
syn: compete with; imitate
* Dennis felt that he had to emulate the success of his famous father.
سعی کردن- کوشیدن- تلاش کردن
v. to try
syn: aim; at tempt
* May you have good luck in everything that you endeavor to do.
انرژی – نیرو
n. the ability to be very active
syn: activity; power
* Perhaps if you took vitamins you would have more energy.
بی حال کردن- سست کردن
v. to weaken
syn: to debilitate; to worn out
* the diplomats from both countries were enervated by the long series of talks.
اتفاق افتادن- رخ دادن
v. to happen after
syn: arise; attend
* Can you describe to the police what ensued after you left the party?
اغوا کردن- وسوسه کردن- اغفال کردن
v. to persuade sb to do sth by offering sth nice
syn: attract; coax
* Advertisements try to entice people into buying more things thhan they need.
adj. fealing or showing envy
syn: covetous; jealous
* She was envious of her sister’s success.
تصور کردن- پیش بینی کردن
v. to think of sth as being possible in the future.
syn: foresee; predict
* I don’t envisage any problems with this.
n. a period of time in history
syn: date; period
* The Industrial Revolution marked the beginning of an epoch of exodus from rural areas to cities.
منصفانه- عادلانه- معقول
adj. fair & just
syn: honest; proper
* That’s not the equitable salary for these workers.
دوپهلو- گنگ- مبهم
adj. to be confusing
syn: dubious; vague
* She looked equivocal when I tried to explain this problems for her.
ریشه کن کردن- از بین بردن
v. to destory sth completely
syn: abolich; erase
* He tried to eradicate the memory of those terrible years from his mind.
adj. educated person
syn: scholarly; wise
* All our teachers were erudite at public school.
افزایش یافتن- بالا رفتن- شدت گرفتن
v. to become stronger or more serious
syn: expand; intensify
* The terrorist attacks escalated tension in the capital.
اسکورت- محافظ- همراهی
n. a person or vehicle that goes with and protects sb
syn: aide; guard
* The president’s car was escorted by several police cars.
مخصوصاً – خصوصاً
adv. to an unusual degree; in particular
syn: mainly; chiefly
* He was very disappointed with his mark in the exam especially as he had worked so hard for it.
adj,n. absolutely necessary
syn: ideal; crucial
* Essential medical supplies will be delivered to the area by plane.
محترم شمردن- احترام گذاشتن به
v. great respect
syn: worship; adoration
* We should esteem other people’s cultures and values.
n. speech in praise of someone
syn: acclaim; adoration
* The film received widespread critical eulogy.
adj. trying to avoid sth
syn: cunning; deceitful
* Anna always gives an evasive answer.
بیرون کردن- اخراج کردن
v. to force sb to leave the house or land where she/ he lives
syn: cast out; chuck out
* They were evicted for not paying the rent.
تکامل یافتن- شکل گرفتن
v. to develop from simple early forms
syn: derive; descend
* His style of painting has evolved gradually over the past 20 years.
دقیق- صحیح – با دقت
adj. correct; accurate
syn: definite; faultless
* you need to be very exact when you calculate the costs.
عصبانی کردن- خشمگین کردن
v. to make sb angry; to annoy
syn: enrage; irritate
* She was exasperated by the lack of progtess.
فراتر رفتن از- تجاوز کردن از
v. to be greater than sth
syn: beat; outrun
* He was stopped by the police for exceeding the speed limit.
صرف نظر کردن- مانع شدن
v. to prevent sb/ sth from getting in
syn: ban; eliminate
* The police had excluded the possibility that the child had run away.
adj. very tired
syn: disable; empty
* I’m exhausted of listening to the same thing again & again.
n. make sb feel very happy
syn: cheer; delight
* There exhilarations for winning team! (ʻHip, hip, hurrahʼthree times)
خارج شدن- خروج- در خروجی
n.v. a door or way out of a public building
syn: departure; doorway
* When he saw her coming, he made a quick exit.
[قیمت] گزاف- بیش از حد
adj. much more expensive
syn: enormous; ectreme
* There is an exorbitant amount of work involved in this.
غیر بومی- خارجی- کمیاب
adj. unusual or interesting because it comes from a different country
syn: unusual; odd
* What an ecotic hat!
منبسط شدن- گسترش یافتن
v. to become bigger
syn: amplify; elaborate
* Metals expand when they are heated.
گستره- پهنه- محوطه
n. large open area
syn: extent; space
* From the roof we could see the full expanse of the park.
اخراج کردن- بیرون کردن
v. to force sb to leave a country
syn: ban; cast out
* The government has expelled all foreign journalists.
به درد نخور- دور انداختنی- بی مصرف
adj. not worth saving
syn: outlay; output
* Expendable products increased in the last year.
مهلت (چیزی) منقضی شدن- زمان (چیزی) گذشتن
v. to come to the end of the time
syn: cease; depart
* ۵۰۰ people lost their jobs when the company expired trading.
صریح- بی پرده- رُک
adj. clear, not making anything difficult to understand
syn: absolute; certain
I gave you explicit instructions not to touch anything.
بهره کشی کردن- استثمار کردن
v. to use sth or to treat sb unfairly
syn: impose; profit by
* Third world countries are often exploited by the richer nations.
توضیح دادن- شرح دادن
v. to describe sth
syn: explain; define
* She expounded how I should fill in the form.
adj. make known by words or looks
syn: clear; exact
* It was her express wish that he should have the picture after her death.
فی البداهه- بدون آمادگی قبلی
adv. prepare sth abruptly
syn: offhand; perfunctory
* I can’t teel you what it’s worth extempore.
adj. large in area or amount
syn: broad; general
The house has extensive grounds.
منقرض – نابود
adj. no longer existing
syn: dead; abolished
* Tigers are nearly extinct in the wild.
تحسین کردن- ستایش کردن
v. worship sb or sth
syn: adore; apprrciate
* The art of Van Gogh was not extoled during his own life time.
adj. not part of the notmal course of studies.
* The school offers many ectracurricular activities such as sport, music, drama, etc.
ولخرج – اسراف کار
adj. spending or costing too much money.
syn: costly; fanciful
* The advertisements made extravagant claims for the new medicine.
شاد- سرمست از
adj. make happy for sth
syn: cheerful; joyful
* She doesn’t feel exultant about the salary she’s been offered.
adj. not carefully thought out
syn: easy; simple
* Her parents are very facile. They let her do what she wants.
هوس- موج- مُد
n. sth will probably not last long
syn: whim; fashion
* There is a fad for people to retire earlier.
به تردید افتادن- مردد بودن- تزلزل نشان دادن
v. to become weak or move in a weak way
* Since he is shy about speaking in public, his voice always falters a little at the beginning of his speeches.
قحطی – کمبود- گرسنگی
n/ a lack of food in a large area
syn: hunger; destitution
* Unless it rains this week, the loss of crops could result in a famine.
adj. feeling very strongly or too enthusiastic about sth
syn: bigoted; enthusiastic
* Mike is fanatic about keeping things tidy.
گذراندن- از عهده برآمدن- انجام دادن
v. to do sth successfully
syn: get along; manage
* How did you fare in your examination?
مجذوب کردن- شیفته خود کردن
v. to attract or interst sb very much
syn: absorb; captivate
* He fascinated the children with his magic tricks.
کار عظیم- شاهکار- معجزه
n. something you do that shows great strength, skill or courage
syn: deed; act
* That new bridge is a feat of engineering
شهریه- دستمزد- پرداخت کردن حق الزحمه
n. the money you pay for sth
syn: bill; account
* We can’t affors private school fees.
adj. with no energy or power
syn: powerless; weak
* The child was feeble with hunger.
n. serious crime e.g. murder
syn: culprit; criminal
* young felons should not be sent to adult prisons.
adj. very violent
syn: barbaric; cruel
* The demonstration started peacefully but later turned ferocious.
حمل کردن- بردن
v. carry people or the other things
syn: carry; convey
* Could you ferry us across to the island?
n. strong feeling
syn: ardour; eagerness
* Children are usually full of fervor.
دعوا کردن- نزاع کردن
v. a long and serious quarrel between people.
syn: conflict; strife
* Romeo’s & Juliet’s families had been feuding for generations.
شکست کامل- مایۀ آبرو ریزی
n. the ridiculous failure of organized event
syn: washout; bust
* Our last party was a complete fiasco.
خشن- بی رحم
adj. angry & aggtessive
syn: brutal; ctuel
* The house was guarded by fierce dogs.
مناسب- شایستگی- صلاحیت
n. the quality of being suitable
syn: apt; pertinent
* I think this shirt is fitness for John not paul.
پرزرق و برق- رنگارنگ
adj. very easily noticed
syn: colourful; showy
* Our theatrical pages were inundated with press releases from the flamboyant producer.
تملق (کسی را) گفتن- مبالغه کردن
v. to praise sb too much
syn: adulate; praise
* He flatters himself that he speaks French fluenty.
فرار کردن- ناپدید شدن از
v. to run away or escape from sth
syn: abscond; get away
* When the hunter fired his gun, the tiger turned and fled.
چشمک زدن- درخشیدن
v. to move lightly and quickly up and down
syn: flash; glimmer
* His eyelids flickered for a second and then he lay still.
نازک – بدون استحکام – بی دوام
adj. light and thin
syn: delicate; inadequate
* Newspaper is too flimsy to be used for a kite, the wind would tear it to pieces.
به هوا انداختن- پرت کردن
v. to throw sth into the air & make it turn over
syn: cast; throw
* The truck ran off the road & flipped over in the ditch.
لاس زدن- عشوه آمدن برای
v. behave as if sexually attracted
syn: chat up; dally
* Who was that boy Irene was flirting with at the party?
دست و پا زدن- تقلا کردن
v. to move with difficulty or to struggle
syn: blunder; falter
* When they tried to run in the deep snow, they floundered & fell.
adj. silly; not sensible
syn: crazy; absurd
* She felt very foolish after she realized her mistake.
از هفت دولت آزاد- فارغ البال- آزادِ آزاد
adj. free to go wherever one wants and do what one likes
syn: tranquil; at ease
* London is very fooloose on Sunday.
تحمل- صبر- شکیبایی
n. patient forgiveness
syn: calmness; toleration
* I’m sorry, I’ve got no forbearance with people who don’t even try.
گذشتن از- از (رودخانه ای) گذشتن
v. a place where one can cross a river without a dridge
syn: go beyond; leave
* Before the bridge was built, people used to ford this river.
پیش بینی کردن
v. to know or guess that sth is going to happen in the future.
syn: anticipate; foretell
* I don’t foresee any problems in transferring funds from your saving account to your cheeking account.
ساختن- ایجاد کردن
v. to make or organize sth
syn: build; assemble
* They formed a group called ʻCitizens for Natureʼ.
adv.in the past; previously
syn: already; before
* The hotel was formerly a castle.
نقطه فوت- هنر- تخصص
n. sth someone does particularly well
syn: apecialty; shill
* His forte is in heart surgrty, he doesn’t have any knowledge about this case.
در دست انتشار [کتاب]- آینده
adj. happening soon
syn: available; imminent
* look in the local paper for a list of forthcoming events.
مؤسس- بنیان گذار
n. sho establishes sth
syn: author; designer
* The founder showed us her design for the new theatre.
n. a bird which can be eaten.
syn: hen; domestic bird
* The boys went hunting for pheasant and other wild fowl.
بخش- قسمت- جزء
n. a small part or amount
syn: component; factor
* Computers solve mathematical operations in a fraction of the time that it take a technician to solve them.
شکستن- ترک خوردن
v. to break sth
syn: split; crack
* He didn’t think that he had broken his arm, but the x-rays revealed a slight fracture.
کلاهبرداری- فریب کاری- تقلب
n. deceiving or tricking sb in order to get money
syn: deceit; hoax
* This identification is a fraud; the signatures do not match.
فراوان- مکرر- به دفعات
adv. happening often
syn: commonly; habitaully
* Buses run frequently from the city centre to the airport.
ناراحت بودن- عصبانی بودن- بی تابی کردن
v. to be unhappy or worried about sth
syn: agonise; bother
* Don’t fret about getting a job; with your qualifications I am sure that you have nothing to worry about.
بسیار سرد- یخ زده
adj. very cold
syn: aloof; cool
* The frigid temperatures in the Arctic caused many hardships for the men in the expedition.
سبک سری- کم عقلی
n. silly behaviour
syn: trifling; jest
* This is a serious frivolity. Please don’t make these remarks.
مقتصد- صرفه جو
adj. not wasteful
syn: careful; thrifty
* Don’t worry. she’s a frugal wife.
n. a large enclosed fire that is used for heating water
* cook in a hot furnace for 50 minutes.
دزدانه- پنهانی- مرموز
syn: hidden; sly
* While they were taking a rest, Peter cast a furtive glance at his friend’s paper.
علاوه بر این- از این گذشته
adv. in addition; also
* Furthermore, we shall send medical supplies immediately.
بیهودگی- بی فایدگی
n. useless; unsuccessful
syn: aimlessness; ineffectiveness
* unfortunately, all efforts to rescue the survivors were futility.
شکاف- وقفه- فاصله
n. empty space between
syn: blank; crack
* The wind blew through the gaps in the roof.
syn: garments; costume
* The actors were costumed in the original garb of sixteenth century England.
حفاظت کردن از- دفاع کردن از
v. guard a place
syn: armed force; troops
which political party do you garrison?
adj. talking too much
syn: talkative; chatty
* paul is so garrulous that once he starts taking; no one can get a word in.
بریدن- زخم کردن- زخم عمیق
v. a long deep cut
syn: cut; wound
* The gash above his eye required fifteen stitches.
دست و پاچلفتی- بی ادب
adj. socially awkward
syn: impolite; clumsy
* His guache manner embarred his family.
آماده بودن- هماهنگ کردن
v. to get ready or to make sb/ sth ready
syn: affair; gard
* I was all geared up for the party but it was cancelled at the last minute.
جواهر – گوهر
n. jewel; very valuable thing or person
syn: stone; pearl
* I think that the gems in this ring are rubies, but they may be sapphires.
خوش مشرب- خوش اخلاق
adj. cheerful & kind
syn: easy-going; cordial
* We received such a genial welcome that we felt at home immediately.
اصل- اصیل- حقیقی
adj. real; true
syn: actual; candid
* what I thought was a copy was a genuine Rembrandt.
روییدن- جوانه زدن
v. cause a seed to start growing
syn: generate; develop
* These seeds will germinate more quickly if you put them in a warmer place.
لُب مطلب- اصل موضوع
n. main points of sth
syn: coe; point
* I understand the gist of the document, but my lawyer will have to explain the details.
adj. attractive or full of sexual attraction
syn: alluring; elegant
* The finalists in the Miss Universe pageant are all very glamorous women.
چرب زبان- ساده انگار
adj. speaking too easily
syn: easy; smooth
* The salesman was such a glib talker that he sold her several items that she did not need.
درخشیدن- برق زدن- موج زدن
v. flash brightly
syn: flare; gleam
* Her eyes glittered with tears as she struggled to control her emotions.
n. list of explanations of words
syn: dictionary; word list
* If you do not understand some of the technical terms. Refer to the glossary.
هدف- آرمان- آرزو
n. One’s aim or putpose
syn: aim; smbition
* His goal is to receive his Ph. D in electrical engineering.
پرخور- شکم پرست
syn: glutton; pig
* She’s always a gourmand, she never stops eating.
مهربان- بزرگوار- از سرلطف
adj. pleasant, kind or polite
syn: elegant; kindly
* It was gracious of you to offer, but I don’t need any help.
adj. a strong desire for everything
syn: avaricious; covetous
* George is a very greedy man; the more money the acquires, the more he wants.
غم انگیز- ناگوار
adj. very harmful
syn: grief; sorrow
* His decision to leave home was a grievous event to his parents.
بدخلق- بداخلاق- عصبانی
adj. bad temper
* Anne thought that her brother was angry because he had been grouchy all day.
دلخوری- ناخشنود بودن از- دلخور بودن از
v. to be unwilling to give sth to sb
syn: begrudge; dislike
* Despite the unfairness with which he was treated, he did not hold a grudge against his former employer.
غر زدن- گله کردن- شکایت کردن
v. to complain or protest in a bad- tempered way
syn: bleat; complain
* Every one grumbles about paying more taces.
تندباد- به شدت وزیدن
n,v. a sudden rush of wind
syn: storm; hurricane
* His hat was blown off by a sudden gust of wind
n. the natural home of a plant or an animal
syn: abode; home
* Stephen went abroad and made his habitat in Canada.
متوقف کردن- مردد بودن
v. to stop for a short time
syn: cease; break off
* We forced to halt the works because the machine broke down.
n. a very small village
syn: farm; village
* There are sic families living in this hamlet.
دستبند- دستبند زدن
n,v. pair of metal rings for fastening a felon’s wrists
syn: bracelets; cuffs
* After police arrested Jim, they handcuffed him.
بی نظم- اتفاقی- تصادفی
adj. unplanned; disorderly
syn: careless; casual
* It is obvious that this paper has been written in a very haphazard way.
سختگیر- بی رحمانه
adj. severe or cruel
syn: austere; bleak
* The punishment seemed very harsh for such a harmless joke.
adj. acting or deciding sth too quickly
syn: drisk; heedless
* After he had considered the problem more carefully, he regretted having made such a hasty decision.
مه آلود- غبارآلود- نامشخص
adj. not clear; misty
syn: cloudy; foggy
* Because of the hazy weather, there were only a few sunbathers at the beach.
پرخطر- مخاطره آمیز
adj. dangerous; risky
syn: dangerous; difficult
* The strong currents in the sea here are extremely hazardous for swimmers.
پرتکاپو- پرتلاش- پرجنب و جوش
adj. very. Busy & full of a lot of things that you have to do quickly
syn: busy; frenetic
* My schedule is so hectic that I have only half an hour for lunch.
گوش دادن- توجه کردن- اعتنا کردن
v. pay attention to advice
syn: mindful; attentive
* If he had heeded his broker’s advice, he would not need to borrow money now.
از حالا به بعد
adv. from now on; in future
* Henceforth at this university we shall observe the first week in February as international week.
خبر دادن از- اعلام کردن
v,n. to be a sign that sb/ sth is coming
syn: advertise; broadcast
* The shop is heralding for a part- time sales assistant.
خنده دار- بامزه
adj. very funny
syn: jolly; comical
* We laughed all through the movie; it was hilarious.
لولا – بستگی داشتن به
v,n. to depend on sth
syn: hang; be contingent
* The door squeaks because the hinges need oil.
اشاره کردن – با اشاره حالی کردن- راهنمایی
v,n. to suggest sth in an indirect way
syn: advice; clue
* If you give me a hint, I am sure that I can guess the answer.
[صدا] خشن- [صدا] دو رگه
adj. sounding rough & quiet
syn: harsh; croaky
* The cheerleaders were hoarse from yelling at the basketball game.
دست انداختن- سربه سرگذاشتن- گول زدن
v. a trick that is played on sb
syn: delude; swindle
* News of an unidentified flying object was a hoax.
همه سوزی- قتل عام با حریق- انهدام
n. widespread destructions, usually by fire.
syn: carnage; slaughter
* Teams of volunteers are still battling fires from ueaterday’s holocaust; meanwhile the death toll has risen to sixty.
ادای احترام- بزرگداشت- تقدیر
n. signs of great respect
syn: adulation; fidelity
*.The nation paid homage to their dead leader by lowering the flag to half-mast
وحشتناک- فجیع- افتضای
adj. really terrible
syn: horrible; awful
* We had a horrendous holiday. It rained everyday.
همهمه- جار و جنجال- سر و صدا
n. mixture of loud noises
syn: chaos; confusion
* It is opening comment caused such a hubbub that he had to wait until the noise subsided to continue his lexture.
adj,v. low in rank; unimportant
syn: submissive; unimportant
* He became very rich & famous but he always remained a very humble man.
n. idea that may explain facts
syn: imaginary; supposed
* Based upon the hypothesis that the world was round, explorers sailed west in order to reach the East.
ایده آلیست- آرمان گرا
n. a preson who has high ideals
syn: dreamer; romantic
* She is so strange person, she is idealist.
adj. the same
syn: likeness; unity
* Jean & Jane are identical twins.
ناآگاه- بی خبر- غافل
adj. not knowing about sth.
syn: stupid; unread
* Because Barbara had been ill, she was ignorant of the change in the dete for the final examination.
نادیده گرفتن- توجه نکردن
v. to pay no attention to sb/sth
syn: neglect; omit
* She turned her back & ignored him as he went by.
غیر قانونی- غیر مجاز
adj. not allowed by law
syn: illegal; unlawful
* It is illicit to own a gun without a special licence.
بی سواد- حاکی از بی سوادی
adj,n. not able to read or write
* you must be illiterate if you’ve never heard of Sartre!
تصور غلط- خیال باطل – توهم
n. a false idea, belief
syn: fallacy; hallucination
* That line looks longer, but in fact they’re the same length. It’s an optical illusion.
مهاجرت کردن- کوچیدن
v. come to live in a country
syn: settler; newcomer
* Many people have immigrated in this part of country.
نزدیک- قریب الوقوع- در راه
adj. almost certain
syn: near; approaching
* unless it stops raining by tomorrow, a flood appears imminent.
بی حرکت- ثابت
adj. not moving or not able to move
syn: fix; cripple
* The hunter stood immobile until the lion had passed.
بی حیا- گستاخ
adj. not fine; rough in manner
syn: immoral; coarse
* His immodest remarks about women offended her.
بی طرف- منصف- منصفانه
adj. fair or neutral
syn: equitable; unbiased
* Mr. Williams is a good referee, he is always as impartial as possible.
غیر قابل عبور- غیر قابل گذر
adj. impossible to travel on because it’s blocked
syn: blocked; impenetrable
* Flooding and fallen trees had made many roads impassable.
n. point where further movement is blocked
syn: blind alley; dead end
* You should never overtake on an impasse corner.
مانع – مشکل
n. something that makes action difficult or impossible
syn: barrier; block
* The high rate of tax will be a major impediment to new businesses.
استمراری [دستور زبان] – ناتمام- ناقص
adj,n. not complete
syn: broken; damaged
* In “while I was having a bath”, the verb is in the imperfect tense.
adj.expecting obedience from others
syn: arrogant; autocratic
* They are very imperious of their new house.
بی صبر- شتاب زده
adj. acting quickly but without thought
syn: hastyl rash
* Her impetuous behavior often got her into trouble.
n. force of something moving
syn: energy; motivation
* I need fresh impetus to start working on this essay again.
تأثیر گذاشتن- لطمه زدن
v. affect sth
syn: encroach; influence
* I am not going to let my job impinge on my home life.
اعمال کردن- تحقق بخشیدن
n,v. tool or carry out
syn: instrument; device
* Some teachers are finding it difficult to implement the government’s educational reforms.
syn: tacit; complete
* We had an implicit agreement that we would support each other.
به طور ضمنی بیان کردن- دلالت داشتن بر- تلویحاً گفتن
v. express indirectly
syn: denote; hint
* Although he did not say so directly, he implied that he would be able to help us.
adj. bad- mannered
syn: insolent; rude
* I think it was impolite of him to ask you to heave.
فقر زده- بی مایه
adj. make poor
syn: weake; diminish
* That impoverished news did nothing and diminish her enthusiasm for the plan.
فی البداهه- بدن برنامه ریزی (قبلی)
adj, adv. without preparation
syn: unrehearsed; offhand
* Since he did not have time to prepare a talk, his comments were completely impromptu.
adj. not suitable
syn: dishonest; incorrect
* He lost his job for making improper suggestions to several of the girls.
بی شرم- احمق
syn: indiscreet; heedless
* He was imprudent enough to divorce her.
n. lack of ability, power or skill
syn: incapability; dosability
* He has a complete inability to listen to other people’s opinions
ناکافی- فاقد صلاحیت
adj. not sufficient
* There was so much to learn in the new job that for a while I felt totally inadequate.
n. something that encourages you
syn: encouragement; stimulant
* The company is offering cash incentives to staff to move to another area.
بی وقفه- پیوسته
adj. never stopping
syn: endless; persistent
* After a week of incessant rain, the river overflowed its banks.
adj. happeing as part of sth more important
syn: random; accidental
* Besides tuition & books, you will need about one hundred dollars for incidental expenses.
قاطع- صریح- بی پرده
adj. going directly to the point
syn: acid; acute
* After such insicive criticism from the press, it is doubtful that the city council will approve the project.
نامفهوم- بدون پیوستگی- نامربوط
adj. not clear or easy to understant
syn: confused; disconnected
* We shout “omit chapter 1 & 4” because they are incoherent for this exam.
بدون صلاحیت- نالایق
adj. lacking the necessary skill to do sth well
syn: incapable; useless
* She is incompetent for working hard.
ناهماهنگ- خارج از تناسب- ناجور
adj. strange; not in harmony
syn: confliting; inappropriate
* He looked very incongruous in this T-shirt & jeans.
باور نکردنی- شگفت
adj. amazing or fantastic
syn: absurd; astounding
* These results are incredible; I can’t belive that they are accurate.
تحمل کردن- متحمل شدن
v. to cause of suffer sth
syn: suffer; provoke
* Mary often incurs from severe headaches.
adj. being or giving a sign of sth
* Is the unusual weather indicative of fundamental climatic changes?
اعلام جرم- کیفر خواست
n. a written paper that officially accuses sb of a crome.
syn: accusation; allegation
* An indictment will be handed down by the grand jury when it convenes on Monday.
ترغیب کردن- واداشتن
v. to cause or produce
syn: encourage; generate
* Television commercials induce people to buy new products.
بی حرکت- ساکن- [گاز] بی اثر
adj. not able to move or act
syn: dead; dormant
* This experiment can be repeated with any inert object, for example, a rock or a piece of wood.
اجتناب ناپذیر- حتمی
adj. that can’t be avoided or prevented from happening
syn: automatic; certain
* It was inevitable that she would find out the truth one day.
تغییر ناپذیر- بی وقفه- تغییر ناپذیر
adj. impossible to change or prevent
syn: cruel; inflexible
* Their arguments were inexorable, I had to agree.
بری از اشتباه- قابل اطمینان
adj. never making mistakes
syn: accurate; certain
* Even the most Careful typist is not infallible.
بی آبرویی- بدنامی
syn: disgrace; disrepute
* There is no infamy in not having much money.
syn: polluting; virulent
* Flu is very infectious.
استنباط کردن- دریافتن
v. to reach a conclusion from the information you have
syn: assume; conclude
* I inferred from our conversation that he was unhappy with his job.
[قانون] شکستن- نقض کردن
v. to break a rule, law. agreement
syn: disobey; intrude
* He infringed the orders then he was punished.
عصبانی کردن- از کوزه به در کردن
v. to make sb very angry
syn: annoy; provoke
* Close the door if the noise is infuriating you.
adj. clever at finding answers to problems
syn: creative; original
* This ingenious plan makes lots of money
جزء سازنده- عنصر
n. one of the items of food you need to make sth to eat
syn: component; element
* She had planned to bake a pie, but she did not have all of the necessary ingredients.
ساکن شدن در- سکونت گزیدن در
v. to live in a place
syn: dwell; occupy
* More than four billion people inhabit the earth.
شروع کردن- به اجرا درآوردن
v. to start sth
syn: begin; commence
* In his inauguration speech, the new dean promised of the college.
نوآوری- ابداع- تغییر- پیشرفت
n. something new that has been introduced
syn: change; alteration
* Some of the innovations on display at the World Science Fair will not be practical until the twenty-first century.
واکسینه کردن- مایه کوبی کردن
v. to inject sb with a mild form of a disease
syn: immunization; vaccination
* The children have been inoculated against tetanus.
adj. veryh interested in finding out about what other people are doing.
syn: curious; nosy
* Stevie is a very inquisitive child, he never tires of asking questions.
واردکردن- داخل کردن
v. to put sth into sth or between two things
syn: enter; infix
* Insert your money and then dial the number.
مکار- حیله گر
v. go gather; to a ssemble
adj. deceitful person
syn: tricky; deceptive
* He had obtained the secret papers by an insidious way.
بازدید کردن- معاینه کردن
v. to look at sth closely or in great detail
syn: check; examine
* In this state, every car must be inspected annually by the highway patrol.
adj, n. partisan
syn: rebellious; disobedient
* Mary was punished for insurgent orders.
یکپارچه کردن-هماهنگ کردن
v. to join in & become part of a group
syn:blend ; combine
* It has been very difficult to integrate all of the local agencies into the national organization
قصد داشتن- در نظر داشتن
v. to plan or mean to do sth
syn: aim; propos
* I intended to telephone but I completely forgot.
روی یکدیگر اثر گذاشتن- ارتباط برقرار کردن
v. to communicate or mix in a way that has an influence or effect on sb else.
syn: effect; influence
* He is studying the way children interact each other at different ages.
فاصله – حین
n,adj. in the time between two things happening
syn: temporary; acting
* There will now be a 20 minute interim.
قطع کردن- متوقف کردن- مانع کار (کسی) شدن
v. to make sb stop speaking or doing sth
syn: break; disturb
* Im sorry to interrupt that there’s a phone call for you.
n. a period of time between two events.
syn: delay; interlude
* The interval between the two playing periods of a football gams is called the halftime.
نزدیک- محرمانه- دوستانه
adj,n. having a very close relationship
syn: friendly; personal
* They told each other their most intimate thoughts and secrets.
v. to frighten sb
syn: alarm; dismay
* The reble troops intimidated that area.
پیچیده- تو درتو
Adj. having many small parts put together in a complicated way
syn: complex; difficult
* An intricate system of interstate, state & country highways connects all of the major towns & cities in the United States
زیر آب بردن- غرق کردن
v. cover with water
syn: deluge; overflow
* We were inundated with applications for the job.
شکست ناپذیر- سر سخت
adj. too strong or powerful to be defeated or beaten
syn: unyielding; indomitable
* Frodo put on the magic ring and became invincible.
adj. brave and without any fear
syn: bold; brave
* Their leader remained intrepid even in the face of great danger.
v. to enter a place or situation without permission
syn: interfere; meddle
* Please forgive me; I did not mean to intrude.
غضب آلود- غضبناک
adi. very angry
syn: annoyed; irritated
* I shall be extremely irate if he turns up late again.
عصبانی کردن- ناراحت کردن- آزردن
v. to make sb angry
syn: aggravate; bother
* When he has a headache, even the slightest noise irritates him.
زبان نامفهوم- زبان یأجوج و مأجوج
n. special or technical words that are used by a particular group of people
syn: nonsence; parlance
* I don’t understand what you say, most of your words are jargon.
دور انداختن- کنار گذاشتن
v. cast off
syn: reject; dispense with
* The plan was jettisoned as being impractical.
تکان دادن- تکان- پرش
v,n. a sudden pull, push or other movement
syn: bounce; flirt
* The elevator stopped with a jerk
v. to meet or unite
syn: add; associate
* James is going to the army when he leaves he leaves school.
تکان دادن – ضربه
v. n. to shake sth or make it move it suddenly
syn: push; disconcert
* The lorry jolted along the bumpty track.
syn: thoughtful; well advised
* I think it would be judicious to leave early, in case there’s a lot of traffic.
پرشور- مشتاق- علاقه مند
adj. very interested in or having a strong desire for sb/sth
syn: eager; deep
* Because of her keen interest in ancient history, she plans to major in archaeology in college.
برچسب زدن- برچسب
v,n. to put a piece of paper on sth
syn: brand; mark
* All items of clothing should be clearly labeled with your name.
نیاز داشتن- کمبود
v,n. to have too little or none of sth
syn: shortage; dearth
* Money is still lacking for the new hospital.
adj. using few words
syn: concise; succinct
* Most of the people like her so much because she speaks laconic.
پُر- مملو- انباشته
adj. having or carrying a lot of sth
syn: abundant; ample
* The travelers were laden down with luggage.
v. to feel or express great sadness
syn: sorrow; complain
* Across the nation & around the world, people lamented the death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
نشانه- راهنما- مرزنما
n. an important stage or change in the development of sth
syn: boundary; feature
* Big Ben is one of the landmakrs on London’s skyline.
عرض جغرافیایی-نواحی- آزادی
n. the distance of a place north or south of the equator
syn: liberty; extent
* From the roof we could see the full latitude of the park.
ستایش کردن- ستودن
syn: acclaim; admire
* The national anthem, “The stat spangled Banner,” lauds the American flag.
v. an official written agreement in which land, etc is let to sb else
syn: rent; hire
* Do you own or lease your house?
قانون گذراندن- قانون وضع کردن
v. to make a law or laws
syn: codify; authorise
* It is very difficult to legislate against racial discrimination.
فراغت- مرفه- تفریحی
n, adj. the time when you don’t have to work
syn: spare time; vacation
* Bill likes to dish in his leisure time.
ملایم- آسان گیر
adj. not strict or severe
syn: kind; gentle
* He was a lenient, patient man who loved playing with his grandchildren.
درپوش – در
n. the top part of a box, pot, etc
syn: dish cover; cap
* Put a lid on the skillet so that grease won’t spatter.
بلندکردن- بالا بردن
v. to move sb/sth to a higher level or position
syn: pick up; raise
* This box is too heavy for me to lift.
n, v. the brightness that allows you to see things
syn: brilliance; flash
* You should not need more than a light coat because the wether is quite warm.
شاخه- دست- پا
n. a leg or an arm of a person.
syn: arm; bough
* Several limbs fell form the old, dead tree during the storm last night.
لنگ- لنگیدن- به زحمت رفتن
n, v. walk uneventlu
syn: falter; hitch
* Although he said that he had not hurt his leg, he was limping
syn: bright; clear
* There was only one cloud in an otherwise limpid sky.
adj. able to cause death or great damage
syn: deadly; dangerous
* It was lethal to stand near to the cliff edge.
آت و آشغال- آشغال ریختن
n, v. pieces of paper, packets, ets that are left in a public place
syn: debris; rubbish
* After the rock concert, the clean up crew found the compus littered with candy wrappers, bottles & cans.
syn: lawsuit; contention
* The litigation will come to court in a few months.
بی عار- تن پروز
n. a person that is very lazy
syn: voluptuous; self-indulgent
* That loafer will never get the job done.
متنفر بودن- بیزار بودن
v. to feel strong hatred or dislike for sb/sth
syn: abhore; detest
* She likes her job even though she loathes getting up early in the morning in order to get to work on time.
خرچنگ- گوشت خرچنگ
n. a large shell fish that has eight legs
syn: crab; craufish
* Mary’s favorite food is lobster but I don’t.
n. long life
syn: long- lived
* If you exercise everyday, you have a longevity.
غنائم- اموال غارت شده
n, v. goods that have been stolen
syn: prize; booty
* The thieves hid their loot in a deserted warehouse.
adj. talking a great deal
syn: talkative; farrulous
* Most of my friends don’t like her, because she is a loquacious girl.
n. gentle song that you sing to help a child to go to sleep
* The young mother hummed a lullaby to her sleeping baby.
adj. producing a lot of money
syn: profitable; advantageous
* John found s lucrative job, but he went late at work & he was fired uesterday.
adj. shining; lighted
syn: bright; lighted
* The dial on this alarm clock is luminous so that it can be seen in the dark.
syn: lit; illuminated
* This shampoo is guaranteed to make your hair more lustrous than any other brand.
مجلل- لوکس- پرهزینه
adj. very confortable, full of luxury
syn: costly; lavish
* She divorced after two years because she is luxurious girl & nobody can live with her.
adj. horrible and frightening because connected with death
syn: grim; dreadful
* I’ve got a macabre feeling when I’ve watched that movie.
n, adj. a girl or unmarried woman
syn: girl; damsel
* For this job, we need just maiden.
معلول کردن – علیل کردن
v. to hurt sb so badly that a part of the body can no longer be used
syn: cripple; hurt
* Five people were killed in the crash and twelve others were maimed.
بدگویی کردن از- تهمت زدن به
syn: harmful; hostile
* If she continues to malign the integrity of our company, we will sue her for slander.
خانه مجلل- خانۀ اعیانی
n. a very large house
syn: glorious house
* Thomas Jefferson’s mansion, Monticello, is located near Charlottesville, Virginia.
مادیان- ماده الاغ
n. a female horse or donkey
syn: female; feminine
* Only three years old horses are eligible to run in the Kentucky
حاشیه- لبه- کناره
n. the empty space at the side of a page in a book, etc.
syn: edge; border
* Dr. Briggs always writes her corrections in the margins of her student’s papers.
ارتشبد- کلانتر- مرتب کردن- آراستن
n, v. a person who helps to organize or control a large public event
syn: arrange; collect
* The U.S marshal will carry out the orders of this court.
بزرگ- عظیم- سنگین- برجسته- وسیع
adj. very big
syn: bulky; huge
* The city is surrounded by a massive wall with a fortified gate.
خسیس – تنگ نظر- معنی دادن
adj, v. not willing to give or use sth; to express
syn: stingy; parsimonius
It’s no good asking him for any money. He’s much too mean.
دخالت کردن- فضولی کردن
v. to handle sth that you shouldn’t do
syn: interfere; interpose
* Their landlady likes to meddle in her tenants’ affairs.
adj. of not very high quality.
syn: average; medium
* She was of medicore height & weight.
آرام- سربه راه
adj. quiet, and doing what other people say without asking questions
syn: docile; patient
* She seems very meek but she can get very angry.
تعمیر کردن- وصله کردن
v,n. to repair sth
syn: fix; recover
* He asked his mother to mend the hole in the pocket of his jeans.
خطر- تهدید- تهدید کردن
n, v. a danger or threat
syn: frighten; impend
* Hurricanes periodically menace the Gulf coast.
n. the act of joining two or more companies together
syn: combination; uniou
* There are rumors of a merger involving several major railroad companies.
بسیار دقیق- موشکاف
adj. very careful
syn: exact; precise
* He arranged the computer cards with meticulous care, making sure that each one was in the correct order.
جنگ طلب- افراطی
adj,n. using or willing to use force or strong pressure to get what you want
syn: belligerent; fighting
* The workers were in a very militant mood.
قاطی شدن- مخلوط کردن
v. to mix with another thing
syn: blend; combine
* It is not easy for him to mingle with people because he is very shy.
تغییر دادن – اصلاح کردن- کاهش دادن
v. to change sth slightly
syn: adapt; adjust
* It will be difficult to modify the agreement after it had been signed because all changes will be subject to congressional approval.
اذیت کردن- مزاحم شدن
v. to seriously annoy sb
syn: harass; tease
* There was a sign on the gate which read: “Do not molest the dog.”
کودن- آدم احمق
n. a very foolish or stupid person
syn: brainless; daft
* In spite of his having graduated from a respected university, he often behaves like a moron.
لقمه – ذره
n. a very small piece
syn: bit; atom
* The dinner must have been good because there is not even a morsel of it left over.
مِن مِن کردن- غرغر کردن
v,n. to speak quietlu without opening your mouth properly, so that people can’t really hear the words
* It is hard to understand him because he has s tendency to mumble.
بلعیدن- لُف لُف خوردن
v. to eat steadily
syn: champ; chew
* The boys always munch popcorn while they watch the movie.
adj. shared by two or more people
syn: common; interchanged
* Although Bob & his father do not agree on the issues, they have a mutual respect for each other’s opinions.
نهایت اُفت- حضیض
syn: falling; shortage
* The stock market reached its nadir on Tuesday & began to rise again in early trading on Wednesday.
n. a woman whose job is looking after young children
* Mary is a very busy doctor and she should get a nanny for child.
بد- زننده- پر دردسر
adj. ugly or unpleasant
syn: offensive; horrible
* Be tactful when you tell him, because he a very nasty temper.
نفی کردن- باطل کردن
syn: abrogate; deny
* She was negated permission to remain in the country.
بی توجه- مسامحه کار
adj. not giving enough care or attention to sth
syn: lax; uncaring
* Because the mechanic was negligent about fixing the brakes on her car, she was involved in a serious accident.
بدنام- انگشت نما- معروف
adj. well- known for sth bad
syn: infamous; blatant
* This road is notorious for the number of accidents on it.
کرخ- بی حس
adj, v. not able to feel anything
syn: frozen; unfeeling
* By the time the mountain climbers had reached the snowy top, their hands & feet were numb with cold.
n. a place in the desert where there is water & where plants grow
syn: haven; refuge
* Except for a few scattered oasis, the desert is quite barren.
اعتراض کردن- مخالفت ورزیدن
v. to not like or to be against sb/ sth
syn: argue; complain
* Many people object to the new tax.
n. the state of having forgotten sth or of not being aware of sth
syn: nothingness; unawareness
* with time the author’s name faded into oblivion and his books were no longer read.
گنگ- تیره- تار
adj, v. not easy to see or understend
syn: unclear; murky
* The meaning of this poem is very obscure; I really do not understand it.
n. too eager to obey or serve
syn: submissivel slavish
* His obsequious submission to his boss;s ideas disgusted his fellow workers.
v. to notice sb/sth or watch sb/stj carefully
syn: view; discover
* A man & a woman were observed leaving by the back door.
کهنه – قدیمی- مهجور
adj. no longer used because it’s out of date
syn: antique; out of date
* New computer systems have made old methods of data processing obsolete.
لجوج- یک دنده- خودرأی
adj. not willing to change your mind if you have decided sth
syn: stubborn; inflexible
* Jan is such an obstinate person, I know that we will never be able to change her mind.
بستن- مسدود کردن
v. to stop sth/ sb from moving or happening
syn: arrest; block
* please move your car. you obstruct the highway.
رخ دادن- اتفاق افتادن- یافت شدن
v. to happen
syn: appear; develop
* It never occurred to John that his wife might be unhappy.
n,v. the path taken by sth; going round sth else in space
syn: circle; range
* We all stood in a orbit and held hands.
شوم- تهدید آمیز- پیام آور
adj. suggesting that sth bad is going to happen
syn: fateful; sinister
* Those dark clouds look ominous; it will probably rain before evening.
حذف کردن – غفلت کردن از
v. to not include sth
syn: neglect; drop
* You mau omit questions nine and ten because they do not apply to students.
n. public speaking
syn: lecturer; speech
* Almost everyone was bored by his lengthy oration; is seemed that he would never stop talking.
عذاب- آزمایش سخت
n. a very unpleasant experience
syn: troubles; anguish
* Even though no one was seriously injured, the plane crash was a terrible ordeal for the passengers.
تولید- بازده- خروجی
n . the amount that a person or machine produces
syn: product; achievement
* In order to increase the output, a night shift will be hired at the dactory.
اهانت آمیز- زشت
adj. making you very angry
syn: horrible; monstrous
* She was offended by his outrageous remark.
روی هم رفته- در مجموع- کلاً
n,adj,adv. including everything
syn: comprehensive; general
* The overall charges for the parts & labor are itemized in your statement.
adj. not hidden;
* His voice wan’t very overt on the telephone.
n,v. the distance that you move when you take one step
syn: walk; step
* Nick took two paces forwards and hen stopped.
پیمان- توافق نامه
n. a formal agreement between two people, groups
syn: agreement; contract
* Even if a peace pact is signed, neither nation will be in a position to honor it.
خوشمزه- لذیذ- مطبوع
syn: enjoyable; satisfactory
* Some foods which are considered very palatable in one country are not eaten at all in another country.
نوش دارو- داروی عام
n. something that will put right all troubles
syn: cure all
* A two- week vacation is wonderful for fatigue, but will not cure baldness or improve vision, It is not panacea.
بسیار مهم- فوق العاده- ارشد
adj. most important
syn: chief; primary
* One of the paramount reasons for his decision was money.
ترحم انگیز- رقت بار- بدبخت
adj. causing you to feel pity or sadness
syn: miserable; pitiable
* I was offered a pathetic salary so I didn’t take the job.
n. a very poor person
syn: indigent; needy
* When the banks failed during the Greet Depression, many forerlu successful businessmen sommitted suicide rather than live as paupers.
زیرچشمی نگاه کردن- دید زدن- نگاه
v,n. look at sth quickley
syn: glance; look
* The little boy promised not to peek at his Christmas presents while his parents were gone.
با دقت نگاه کردن- زل زدن به – سر زدن
v. look closely or carefully at sth
syn: scan; inspect
* I peered outside but it was too dark to see much.
سوراخ کردن- شکافتن
v. to make or force a way into or through sth
syn: get through; permeate
* The bullet penetrated the victim’s chest & lodged itself just to the right of his heart.
فکور- غرقه در فکر- غمگین
adj. thoughtful person
syn: reflective; wistful
* You seem to be in a very pensive mood; I hope that nothing is wrong.
[کاغذ] سوراخ کردن
v. to make a hole or holes in sth
syn: hole; puncture
* please teat along the perforated line.
نفوذ کردن- پخش شدن- رایج شدن
v. pass through
syn: fill; pervade
* The news permeated him with excitement.
پُر مخاطره- خطرناک
syn: risky; unsafe
* Although the acrobat’s performance seemed very perilous, it was not as dangerous as it looked.
برای همیشه- به طور دائم
adv. lasting for a long time or forever
syn: constantly; perpetually
* I have had several summer jobs but I have never been permanently employed.
ابدی- جاودانی- همیشگی
adj. not stopping or changing
syn: endless; eternal
* Bathing in the Fountain of Youth is supposed to assure perpetual beauty.
متقاعد کردن- قانع کردن- راضی کردن
v. to cause sb to do sth by giving him/ her good reasons
syn: advice; convince
* Although he offered her a higher salary, he could not persuade her to accept a position with his firm.
مربوط – مناسب
adj. directly connected with sth
syn: applicable; suitable
* The film isn’t pertinent for children
درخواست کردن- تقاضا کردن- خواست
v. a written document, signed by many people, that asks a government
syn: plea; request
* We need one hundred more signatures before we take the petition to the governor.
آرام- خونسرد- خویشتندار
adj. not easily excited or upset; calm
syn: impassive; placid
* Mr. Jones is so phlegmatic that he never gets excited about anything.
دزدی کردن- کش رفتن
v. to take sth that belongs to another person
syn: steal; thieve
* Tom was fired because his boss caught him pilfering supplies from the storeroom.
n. a column of stone, wood or metal that is used for supporting part of a building
syn: pier; support
* The Lincoln Memorial is supported by thirty –six pillars, one for each of the states of the union at the time of Lincoln’s presidency.
نیشگون گرفتن- گاز گرفتن
v. to squeeze a piece of sb’s skin tightly between your thumb & first finger
syn: compress; nip
* As she wsd getting out of the car she sccidentally pinched her finger in the door.
تأسف خوردن- متأسف بودن برای
v. a feeling of sadness that you have for sb/ sth who is suffering or in trouble
syn: regret; shame
* She felt pity for the war orphans regardless of what their parent’s political associations had been.
آرام کردن- تسکین دادن
v. to make sb feel less angry
syn: calm; satisfy
* The manager tried to placate the angry customer by offering him to exchange his purchase.
فلات- [اقتصاد] وضع ثابت
n. a large area
* The new airport will be constructed on a large plateau overlooking the capital.
موجه – قابل قبول
adj. sounding as if it is true; reasonable
syn: probable; possible
* Even though it is a plausible explanation, I am not completely convinced.
n. a strong request; an appeal
syn: claim; petition
* He entered a plea of “not guilty” to the charges filed against him.
syn: beefy; fleshy
* These tomatoes are plump & juicy.
دزدیدن- قاچاقی شکار کردن
v. to catch or shoot birds, animals on sb- else’s land without permission.
syn: steal; pilfer
* The terrorists were driving a poached car.
آلوده کردن- فاسد کردن
v. to make air; rivers, eac dirty & dangerous
syn: taint; stain
* Many lakes & rivers have been polluted by industrial waste.
به فکر فرو رفتن- تعمق کردن- دربارۀ (چیزی) فکر کردن
v. to think about sth carefullu or for a long time
syn: consider; deliberate
* Each chess player will have five minutes to ponder his next move.
عقب انداختن- به تأخیر انداختن
v. to arrange that sth will happen at a later time than the time expected
syn: adjourn; put off
* The baseball game will be postponed until next Saturday because
syn: joke; lark
* On April Fool’s Day people like to play pranks on their friends.
احتیاط- عمل احتیاطی
n. something that you do in order to avoid danger or problems
syn: caution; protection
* The doctor would like you to be vaccinated as a precaution.
مقدم بودن بر- قبل از (کسی) قرار گرفتن
v. to come or go before sb/sth
syn: front; introduce
* The playing of the national anthem precedes all sports events.
دستور- حُکم – قاعده
syn: a rule; a command
* The following precept is worth remembering. “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.”
درست- با دقت- دقیقاً
adv. clearly or exactly
syn: absolutely; correctly
* Their plane arrived precisely on schedule.
پیش بینی کردن- پیش گویی کردن
v. to say that sth will happen
syn: forecast; foretell
* Although the weatherman had predicted snow, it was a beautiful weekend.
مقدمه- سرآغاز- پیش درآمد
n. something that comes before sth else or that forms an introduction to sth
syn: beginning; foreword
* Organ music is often a prelude to church services.
حاکم بودن- غلبه کردن- پیروز شدن
v. to exit or be common; to win or gain control
syn: abound; overcome
* Some of the traditional sustoms still prevail among members of the older generation.
رایج – متداول [بیماری] شایع
adj. common in a particular place at a particular time
syn: customary; popular
Smog is more prevalent in urban centers.
adj. coming before or earlier
syn: foregoing; former
* Prior to the Revolutionary war, the United States was an English colony.
معاینه کردن- جستجو کردن
v. to examine sth carefully with a special attention
syn: verify; elements.
* A probe of the surface of the sun has revealed a total of sixty- four chemical elements.
عمیق- ژرف- سنگین
adj. greatl that you feel very strongly
syn: deep; extreme
* After the nurse gave him a sedative, he fell into a profound sleep.
قدغن کردن- ممنوع کردن
v. to say that sth is not allowed by law
syn: ban; forbid
* English law prohibits children under16 from buying cigarette
پرکار- فعال- دارای آثار متعدد
adj. producing a lot
syn: abundant; copious
* Erneat Hemingesy was a very prolific writer; during his brief career he published seven major novels, six volumes of short stories & poems and two travel sketches.
adj. likely to suffer from sth or to do sth
syn: bent; predisposed
* young people are especially prone to this disease.
منتشر کردن- پخش کردن
v. to make known
* As soon as the mayor promulagates the new law, Market place will be a one way street going south.
پایه- تکیه گاه
n. a piece of furniture or another another object that is used in a play, film.
syn: support; stay
* He used a brick as a prop to keep the door open.
موفق شدن- رونق گرفتن- کار (کسی) گرفتن
v. to be successful, especially financially
syn: progress; advance
* Their business began to proper when they moved to their new location.
بیرون زدن- بیرون آمدن
v. to stick out from a surface
syn: extend; point
* When he saw the bone protruding through her shin, he knew that she had a very serious fracture.
تحریک کردن – عصبانی کردن
v. to make a person or an animal angry by annoying the,
syn: aggravate; insult
* His lecture provoked an interesting discussion.
نزدیکی – مجاورت
n. the state of being near to sth.
syn: adjacency; closeness
* proximity to the new shopping center should increase the value of our propery.
پیشنهاد کردن- قصد داشتن
v. to suggest sth as a possible plan or action.
syn: aim; recommend
* I propose a day in the country and lunch at a pub.
syn: hero; proponent
* Brutus is the protagonist in William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and Antony is the antagonist.
محتاط – دوراندیش- معقول
adj. having or showing careful thought.
syn: careful; wary
* In order to make a prudent decision, you must consider all of the possibilities carefully.
ستیزه جو- پرخاشگر
adj. hot tempered
syn: hostile; aggressive
* They are very pugnacious to any change.
تصفیه کردن- پاک کردن
v. to remove dirty or harmful substances from sth
syn: clean; erase
* It’s not necessary to boil the drinking water because it has already been purified chemically.
واجد شرایط شدن با- صلاحیت پیدا کردن- وصف کردن
v. to pass the examination that is necessary to do a particular job
syn: authorise; classify
* How many years must you work to qualify for a pension?
دغدغه خاطر- عذاب وجدان- دل نگرانی
n. a feeling of doubt or worry about whether what you are doing is right
syn: worry; doubt
* I don’t have any qualms about asking them to lend us some money.
سرکوب کردن- فرونشاندن
v. to put an end to sth;
syn: alleviate; defeat
* The National Guard was called in to quell the riot.
n,v. a long search for sth that is difficult to find
syn: pursuit; venture
* The New York University research team is collaborating with the Department of Health in its quest for a cure for arthritis.
پیاده روی کردن- گردش کردن- سرگردان بودن
v,n. to walk in the countryside
syn: stroll; wander
* This composition rambles from one subject to another; it does not seem to have any point.
کینه – بغض
n. spiteful hatred
syn: aversion; animosity
* let us forget our former rancor & cooperate to solve the pressing problems at hand.
عجولانه- شتاب زده- عجول
adj. doing things that might be dangerous without thinking about it.
syn: careless; heedless
* Rash judgments are often unjustified; it is better to give them careful consideration.
تصویب کردن- تصدیق کردن – تأیید کردن
syn: affirm; confirm
* The constitution stated during the years1787-1790.
با خاک یکسان کردن- منهدم کردن
syn: destroy; ruin
* A flash fire razed the office building before it could be controlled.
نابودن کردن- تخریب کردن
v. to damage sth very badly
syn: demolish; desolate
* The forests were ravaged by the winter storms.
adj. resulting from good reasons; logical
syn: intelligent; acceptable
* I tried to be reasonable even though I was very angry.
نادرستی (چیزی را) ثابت کردن- خط بطلان کشیدن بر
v. prove the falseness
* Each team will have a final opportunity to rebut before the debate is judged.
دریافت کردن- پذیرفتن
v. to get or take sth that sb sends or gives to you
syn: accept; acquire
* My suggestions at the meeting were received in silence.
گزارش دادن- از حفظ خواندن
v. to say a loud a piece of writing
syn: describe; recount
* My daughter is going to recite a poem at the Mother’s Day program.
بی احتیاط – بی فکر- بی کله
adj. not thinking about whether what you are doing is dangerous.
syn: mindless; negligent
* Mark had his license suspended for reckless driving.
[آدم] گوشه گیر- گوشه نشین- عزلت نشین
n. a person who chooses to live apart from society
syn: isolated; hermit
* After his wife died, he became a recluse, refusing to see anyone but his closest friends.
شناختن- تشخیص دادن
v. to know again sb/sth that you have seen or heard begore.
syn: accept; allow
* I recognized him I couln’t remember his name.
آشتی دادن- رفع و رجوع کردن
v. to cause people to become friendly with or close to each other again.
syn: resolve; submit
* Since the couple could not reconcile their differences, they decided to get a divorce.
توصیه کردن- سفارش کردن- پیشنهاد کردن
to say that sb/sth is good; to strongly suggest sth
syn: advice; propose
* Which film would you recommend?
تصفیه شده-ظریف- با فرهنگ
adj. having extremely good manners
syn: pure; filtered
* A photographer encouraged her to become a model because of her slim figure & refined features.
اشاره کردن به- ارجاع دادن
v. to mention or talk about sb/sth.
syn: hint; belong
* Many people still refer to Germany as West Germany.
به عقب برگشتن- بازگشتن
v. go back to a former place
syn: return back
* He left his hometown when he was 18 and never regressed.
تمرین کردن- شرح دادن
v. to practice a play, dance, piece of music, etc before you perform act; drill
syn: act; drill